Accubond issue

375hh1973

Beginner
Mar 31, 2007
Last week we finally got a break in the weather here in Michigan. I grabbed my Weatherby Sub-MOA stainless/synthetic in .338 and hit the local range. My rifle loves Federal Premium 225 AB so I grabbed a couple of boxes to burn up. Anyway about halfway through the first box, I noticed that my accuracy was not there like before. Upon closer inspection of my bullets, I noticed that many of the white tips were loose and several had fallen out. Has anyone else experienced this? My second box of ammo was fine, and the gun lived up to its Sub-MOA name. I have been shooting Federal Premium for a lot of years and have never had an issue like this. I have not contacted Federal yet, I will send them an email with a picture I took of the bullets on Monday. Just wondered if anyone else had an issue with AB from Federal.

Send the pic here. If the issue can be resolved here, you will have better results with Federal be explaining the root cause of the problem.

JD338

I shoot a 7mag in a Win Mod 70,I used the Accubonds this last season and was well pleased with their accurracy and performance.One thing I have noticed over the years,is the cartridges in the magazine take a beating from the recoil.I have seen the bullets being seated deeper after being in the magazine for several firings.To minimize this problem I have began loading only one extra round in the magazine.On my last hunt this year using Accubonds,I too had one that was in the magazine loose it's tip.I shot a deer and afterwards unloaded my rifle and noticed the tip was missing.It broke off at least 1/8" down inside the bullet.I like the Accubonds,but I guess I'll start shooting my rifle as a single shot now to avoid this problem.

I think I may have found the problem.I stuck a toothpick into the end of the bullet to see how deep the tip had broken off.To my surprise,the white tip material was still soft like the plastic did not completely cure down deep.You might try removing one of the loose tips to see if you have the same thing.

Polycarbonate is a very good, high-impact engineered plastic. It's the stuff jet windshields are made of. Since it is a thermoplastic, it should be fully cured well before it is assembled to the bullet. However, it is vulnerable to certain strong solvents. Perhaps the cleaning (or adhesive) solvents used during manufacturing are attacking the tip bases.

I loaded a box of .270 Winchester cartridges with Accubonds for a good friend of mine last year and he complained of the tips breaking out. I wrote it off to him probably dropping them in the cartridge case, but now it sounds like I owe him an apology.

Hopefully Nosler figures this one out quickly. I really like this bullet's performance on game, but where I hunt you may only get one or two good shots a season and your gear has to be absolutely dependable.

Back