Accubond or Partition?

Firedog

Beginner
Oct 6, 2005
I have been testing loads in my .300 wby and the accuracy of the accubonds is amazing. Both the 180's and 200's are shooting 1/2 to 3/4 inch groups at 100 yards. Usually closer to ahlf if I do my job. I only had a few rounds left when I started shooting on the 200 and 300 yard ranges but the accuracy was the same. On the 300 yard range with the 200 grain accubonds I had two shots within an 1 1/2" and just above the bullseye.

Now to my question, I have done a lot of reading and there are a lot of opinions both ways.

Is the AccuBond as good a bullet for elk as the Partition? I shoot partitions and really like them. They shoot 1" groups with the 180's in my gun, havent shot 200's in partitions yet. So I don't want to change if I am going to loose killing power. Having a ahrd time deciding which ones to load up for my up coming trip to Montana. Thanks.

I am a huge fan of partitions, they have never let me down in 35 years of hunting, but i have seen some recovered accubonds and they looked like they did the job. If your gun shoots they well ( I have heard problems with accuracy) i think they would work fine on elk. You did say your 300 weatherby shot partitions into an inch at 100 yards, not bad in my books i would probably leave well enough alone.

The retained weight of the AccuBond is better than that of the Partition. The Partition is designed to open quickly and "peel off" the front section as it does. The AccuBond will not do that. The only question I had on the AB was if it would expand as readily as the Partition at lower velocities. I'm convinced now that it will and I think the AB will be my "go-to" bullet in the future. It combines the accuracy of the Ballistic Tip with the weight retention of the Partition....sort of the best of both worlds. I've tried them in my 308 (150 gr and 180 gr) and my 270 (140 gr) and all are very accurate. Now if we could just convince Nosler to come up with a 165 gr for the 308, my world would be complete. (hint, hint, hint!!!) :wink: :wink:

Blaine

Firedog
I've had the front part of a Partition come apart so violently at a 70 yard deer shot with my .300 WBY that the exit wound was six inches across. I shot an elk at thirty yards with an AccuBond at 3000fps and had perfect expansion and took out the far shoulder with about a 1 in exit wound and very little meat loss. I'm convinced the AccuBond is the best all around bullet made. Some very expensive bullets I've used like the Barnes and Swift A Frame hold together too much and won't expand at long range and some of course , just blow up but the AccuBond somehow overcomes all these faults by purpously shedding some weight to expand yet never blows up. I'm shooting nothing but from now on. If Nosler would just make a 350gr. in .416 that would be my main timber gun with long range potential at 2600fps. I took a leap of faith based on what Nosler suggested and I'm sure glad I did! :)

Thanks for the opinions. I have always been a Partition shooter since I started handloading 18 years ago. Only time I ever had a problem with them was when I loaded them to hot in my .280. Performed excellent evertime. I just love the accuracy of the AccuBond and from a lot of the opinions I am gettign the performance is escellent as well. So I will load some 200 grain accubonds for my trip to Montana. Now I just have to wait for my 140's to show up to try in my .280. Thanks again for the opinions and keep them coming so I don't second guess myself. hard to give change a bullet that has been so good to me over the years.

Lots of good experience out there! I can sympathize with the reluctance to move away from partitions. They have certainly served me well over the years. And, really, the main reason I originally moved to the BT's then the AB's was the polyurethane tip. My 7mmRemMag would just flatten the PT's in the magazine. Long range accuracy is an oft touted reason to prefer the SB's, BT's, and AB's. But, as I think Nosler points out on the website, PT and AB accuracy differs minimally and is akin to a 10 yd range miscalculation at 400 yds.

I've taken two animals with the AB's so far and have been very pleased with bullet performance.

jd

The main reason I even started looking at the accubonds then loading a few up was because of the Tips. My 300 wby. screws the tips of the ones in the magazine all up. Then when I shot the accubonds and got such great groups. I will be loading up the 200 grain accubonds for my trip to Montana next week. Hopefully I willhave soem first hand experience with great results :)

Firedog":3qkhh7d5 said:
I will be loading up the 200 grain accubonds for my trip to Montana next week. Hopefully I willhave soem first hand experience with great results :)

Where are you going in Montana? Hopefully you enjoy our great state...we sure have fun playing around here chasing elk...

no better testing ground on planet earth...

We will be down in the SW corner. Ruby River Valley to be exact, Hunting the Snowcrest and Gravely ranges. We were over ther two years ago and had a great time. Sounds like the area we are headed to is already getting a little snow so it should be a great hunt. We will be in camp on Fri night. I can't wait.

Back