Accubond Vs Interbond

Alaska

Handloader
Aug 20, 2006
I use a 338 Win and has anyone compared the 225gr Nosler and Hornady bullets?

AccuBond vs Interbond

Which retains the most weight @ the same vel?

Alaska,

From what I have seen and read, the Hornady will give you a larger diameter and less penetration than the AccuBond.
Here are my test results of the 225 gr AB from my 338 RUM.
338RUM225grAB1.jpg

[/img]
338RUM225grAB2.jpg

JD338

I looked at the two bullets cut in half it appears the Hornady is thicker walled than the Nosler. I would like to see your bullet test with the Interbond as to compare.

Good test with the AccuBond!

The interbonds maintain a little more weight but due to the huge frontal area penetrate a bit less. Unfortunately I have not had any luck with accuracy and interbonds.

You aren't getting much in accuracy from the interbond, POP? How bad are they compared to the AccuBond? What calibers have you shot them in? Being new, the bonded bullets come in fewer weights than traditional cored bullets, so I am going to be trying all the available ones in the .277 range.

So far I tried them in 270 win(Ruger #1), 270 wsm (A-bolt and Kimber Montana) and 7mm wsm in A-bolt. The aforementioned rifles would not shoot I-bonds. All rifles shot well under MOA(some under 1/2MOA) with accubonds.
Again this is not a panacea. Just reporting my findings.

Used plenty of Hor Interlock 225s in 338 WIN & RUM. I feel that they are an effective bullet while fulling recognizing that they shed their core quite frequently. Pretty much the same as Speer 130s in 277 do.

I would suppose that Interbonds will hold their core much much better thus be more effective than the Interlock.

I have some and just wondered if anyone use them in the 338 Win...........

The AB is quickly becomming more and more liked by guys that have scored with them. The accuracy is fantastic and gives great terminal performance with deep penetration.
There have been some reported "failures" but those are on a different web site. :wink:

JD338

I read up on the failures, and it appears that it is primarily people taking shots they should not take, on animals they desperately want to kill, and then killing the animal and being dissatisfied with their success because they shot through the pelvis and pectoral girdle and the animal died nearly 50yds later!

I am going to try both bonded bullets and see which one shoots best for me. Nosler needs a 130gr and 150gr AccuBond, and I would be hooked. (if they shoot good in my rifle).

Most failures are caused by operators.
I never ever had an AccuBond fail on me thus far.
Hopefully in 3 weeks I will report their performance on elk. I have a bull and a cow tag.

From what I gather the I-bond is a little better on retention while the A-bond is better in penetration. The A-bond was designed to "shed its petals", if you will, and have the shank penetrate more...like a Partition--in a way. The I-bonds that I have seen expand and make a huge wound cavity but that does hinder penetration.

Maybe some one with on game experience with I bonds can shed some more light

http://forums.cabelas.com/showthread.php?t=626

I have used the 150GR. Interbonds in my 300WSM at 3336fps. They shoot 1/2" groups out of my model 70 Winchester. Last year I killed 5 deer and all of them hit the ground in their tracks with the bullets passing through leaving a hole about the size of a half dollar with very little meat damage. The range was from 40 yds to 150yds. I really wanted to recover a bullet but never did get the chance. I even shot one facing me @ 40yds and the bullet exited it's rear left ham. The doe weighed about 80#. I was really impressed but I still want to try the Accubonds in my Coyote Lite in the 300WSM, the Interbonds does not shoot well in this rifle.

I harvested a nice 40" Moose on 10 Sep with the 225gr AB in my 338 win. Shot was at 200 yards center just behind the shoulder blade...complete pentration dropped on the spot......load was out of Nosler Manual Max with RL 19.

I had a heck of a time getting the IB to shoot in one of my 7mm's.I did find a good hunting load but it is nothing to write home about.For a bullet that looks like it is ready for a match shoot it sure wasn't a good combo for me.The bullet in question is the 154 grain Interbond.

I e-mailed Hornady on the subject. They replied that a minimum of 2000 fps is required for their Intebonds in order to get decent expansion. That is about 400 more fps that is required for the AB to expand.

I tried Interbonds and Accubonds when they first came out. For whatever reason, I could not get the Interbonds to shoot accurately. I am still shooting plenty of Accubonds today.

GOOD JOB NOSLER - Keep the great bullets coming.

Back