Accubond vs Partition

Bobby Mack Jr

Beginner
Jul 2, 2007
For years my favorite elk load has been a 180 grain Nosler Partition protected point pushed by 56 grains of IMR 4350 out of my trusty 30-06. This load has never failed to give me a one shot kill. Last year I decided to try this same load with a Nosler AccuBond hoping to get the performance of the Partitian with the accuracy of the Ballistic Tip. I was hunting with an AccuBond in the chamber and a couple of Partitians in the mag just in case.

I spotted a small heard of elk moving at a long trot about 165 yards away across a low saddle. When my rifle barked, the elk in my scope fell face first into the mountain grass. It didn't so much as lift its head.

The bullet entered the boiler room through the right shoulder, ripped a golf ball sized channel through the vitals, and exited the left side through the ribs. The entrance and exit holes were surprisingly clean indicating the bullet expanded properly without breaking up.

Needless to say, I am very impressed with the performance of the AccuBond in 180 grains.

:grin: I think it's pretty hard to beat a good 180 grain bullet from a .30-06 rifle!

Back