Action lenth question, help.

Nov 30, 2005
Is there any problems using short chamber barrels in long action receivers. I want to build a BR rifle with a 700 action, so controled feeding isnt nessesary. I ask because you can buy a new 700 long action for $405 complete rifle. And I actully havent decided on a caliber yet. Thanks for any help

I have recently enquired about rebarreling a rem 700 30-06 to a 22-250, and the gunsmiths told me that I would have issues with chambering rounds, I don't really understand why, but that is what they said.

With a single shot rifle, there is no problem using a short action length casing in a long action rifle. For many years, long action receivers were the only way Winchester and Savage rifles were available. For example, the original .22 Hornet Model 70s used long actions.

Where problems occur is when cases with different feed characteristics (length, body taper) are fed through unmodified magazines or receivers with unmodified feed lips.

Having said the above, it may not be economical to build a short range BR action using a factory receiver. After truing the receiver and other work, it may be cheaper to buy a new benchrest quality action - or to buy a used benchrest rifle.

Back