advise on a scope for an encore

coyotewallace

Beginner
Oct 13, 2005
just picked up an encore an i'm new to the pistol hunting game need suggestions on which handgun scope to go with. the set up is a 15"barreled 6.5 rem mag... :?:

I own an Encore handgun with a 308 and 7mm-08 . I have gone through several "economy" scopes. My advice is to by the best handgun scope you can afford. Make sure it advertises (quarentees) it will stand up to handgun recoils. I had Simmons and they only lasted about 100 rounds on my 308. I replaced it with a Burris and haven't looked back. I have one with the Posi-lock on the 308 and it has not given me any problems. My 7mm-08 has one without the Posi-lock, and it has given me no trouble either. The Posi-Lock is nice, but after adjusting the scope, it will move slightly when you lock down the Posi-lock, so it can be a pain sometimes. I don't think you will need it with the 6.5. They run about $330-350, but they are worth it.

Blaine

On my 7m-08 Contender I used a Bushnell Elite pistol scope in 2x6. It worked great! If I put a pistol barrel on my Encore I would not hesitate to go with the same scope.

Long

On my 7m-08 Contender I used a Bushnell Elite pistol scope in 2x6.
I assume this is a typo, the 7-08 is an unsafe chambering for the Contender.

I use either Burris or Leupold handgun scopes on my single shot handguns from a .25-20 up to the .45-70. All worked just great, the only problem I had was with my very first Leupold 2XEER which I bought brand new in 1975. In the mid-80s I took it off one barrel and noticed that it rattled a little when I shook it - it still performed fine. I sent it off to Leupold, and they replaced it with a brand new scope. It seems they made design changes to that scope in the late 70s to strengthen it, and I could not be happier with their products or service. For the 6.5 a Burris 2x7 would be about perfect, IMO anyway.

Oops, :oops: I ment 7-30 Waters. I have been doing a lot of shooting lately with a 7m-08 Browning and guess I have 7m-08 on the brain. :)

Long

Have I got a deal for you. I have a Burris 2-7x LER that came off my 6.5 JDJ. I'll let it go for $100.

coyotewallace, i have a burris 2x7 on my savage super striker in 308, fantastic scope zero problems, shot 2 bucks 1st and 2nd year hunting, i''d jump on reloader28 offer their a heck of a great scope, ps mine has posi-loc and balistic plex.... regars jjmp

I have Encore 15" pistols: 454 casull & 30-06 and rifles: 24" 243 & a Bullberry 20" S&W 460 ;I use Leupold scopes plus 1 Pine Ridge Red Dot Scope made in Japan with circle dot,circle cross,cross and dot.

Trust kiddecop about the T'SOB . I have two, one on 358 win, one on a 270 win and a lookalike from Virgin Valley ( now mgm) , in 376 steyr. approx. 400 rounds through the 358, 300 through the steyr and only 50 through the 270 ( I just got it), they are worth the price . They dont loose their zero.

Back