Alaska

Moose this morning IMG_1100.JPG
Glad he has eluded the bears. Didn't realize he was sprouting antlers until I put the glasses on him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Those are some beautiful fish :wink: & sure not a bad way to wake up seeing a Moose.
Keep those photos coming my friend just love to read and look at them.

Blessings,
Dan

Well we are officially done with rainbows as our target fish. My new phone arrived with our guests this week. Old one is still in the river. Rotated out the rainbow guys, brought in a couple for kings and sockeye yesterday. Sockeye have yet to show in any numbers, but they are in the bay.
First King of the year goes to Russ, dime bright 24 pounder.
IMG_1117.JPG

Dan, the kings on our river probably average about 25 to 30 pounds. We catch quite a few small kings, 10 to 20 pounds as well.
We will get one or two fish a week that push 40. We don't get many over 40 and I'll generally release those. A huge fish on this river is 50 pounds.
We don't have the genetics for anything bigger.

Dan, the kings on our river probably average about 25 to 30 pounds. We catch quite a few small kings, 10 to 20 pounds as well.
We will get one or two fish a week that push 40. We don't get many over 40 and I'll generally release those. A huge fish on this river is 50 pounds.
We don't have the genetics for anything bigger.

Still, respectable fish. No doubt those who catch them are thrilled with the slugging match and the fine dining after the catch.

Had a good day today. Took Russ and his daughter to a hidden stream in the Becherof wild life refuge. She, a gifted athlete, had never fly fished before. End of the day she was throwing 60 feet and landing fish like a pro.
8f895ba6a98678cf4ea07788b0bb9e98.jpg
IMG_1235.JPG
Yes, it was wet. Rained all day but we found a lot of willing Arctic Char and grayling.

Great photos of some fine fishing. Never fished for arctic char, though I've landed hundreds of dolly varden and bull trout. Grayling are great fun on light gear.

The fish are rolling in. Yesterday 270,000 sockeye swam by the lodge. Today 142,000 sockeye came by. Needless to say it was good fishing.
The state doesn't count the kings, but everyone caught their king as well.
IMG_1330.JPG
Father/son teamed up for kings
IMG_1332.JPG
Big buck sockeye, K said "we don't have these in Nebraska"

Those are sure bright fish. Has to be fine table fare destined for those that have opportunity to partake of it.

Gerry, we get outstanding sockeye, only 20 miles out of the salt they are dime bright and great fighters. Over the years we have developed a group of clients that would rather fish for sockeye than Kings. Fine by me.

IMG_1347.JPG
A couple of dime bright kings; 33 lbs. & 27 lbs. A good start for their trip.

Now you're talking! Great looking fish. No doubt those are some happy clients.

IMG_2432.JPG
Tactical fishing 101.
Biggest mistake I see guides make on bear infested streams. When mending leaders, tying on a new fly they are watching the water and the clients fish.
I always turn my back to the creek, more worried about a bear sneaking up behind us. I get on my knees with my tools on the ground in front of me. When a bear shows up I simply set everything down, no fumbling around. If the situation allows I can grab everything, if not I leave it until the problem is resolved.

Great advice. I do something similar even when black bears are the primary concern.

That is good advice as there have been a few problems this year up in the Alaska area.
Thanks for the photos (y).

Blessings,
Dan

Sockeye fishing has been off the charts, we've had 1.2 million fish pass by in the last eight days. Been stacking up like cordwood.IMG_1346.JPG

Kings have slowed down some, I'm getting 1/2 fish an hour. Fish four hours, put two in the boat. Funny thing the kings are coming back to back. This morning I had three in the boat in the first half hour. Fished five more hours with out a solid hook up.
Hope summer is treating you all well.

Back