Alliant Re17 powder

big rifle man

Handloader
Dec 21, 2005
I don't know whether this has been mentioned previously but Alliant has come out with a new powder (Re17) that is due to be on the shelves shortly. I spoke with an Alliant Rep and found that the powder is similiar to 4350 but is designed to provide higher velocities up to 100 FPS over standard loadings. The powder is designed aroung the Short mag cartridges and is not temperature sensitive. Sounds like this is going to be a good one. Their waiting on approval from DOT to start shipping. Something else to get us to do more experimenting.

Yes it has been posted before. I even got load info from Alliant and put it on here. Do a search, you'll find it.

big rifle man":3ds9svxg said:
I don't know whether this has been mentioned previously but Alliant has come out with a new powder (Re17) that is due to be on the shelves shortly. I spoke with an Alliant Rep and found that the powder is similiar to 4350 but is designed to provide higher velocities up to 100 FPS over standard loadings. The powder is designed aroung the Short mag cartridges and is not temperature sensitive. Sounds like this is going to be a good one. Their waiting on approval from DOT to start shipping. Something else to get us to do more experimenting.
.................BRM............OH YEAH!!! I`m waiting for this stuff myself to try & chrony in my 300 WSM!... Yep! Rel 17 is suppose to give the best performance in the short mags, over ALL other powders listed in the Speer manual. According to Alliant, it gives great accuracy results too!............I also saw on the press release that it did give a pretty good bump up to the 30-06 as well.

I will be giving it a try in a 243 win with 95 to 100gr bullets. I beleive that should be a good combination for whitetail.

update on RE17. I spoke with an Alliant Rep yesterday and found out that they still haven't gotten an OK from DOT to start shipping. The government wheels turn slowly. The Rep was well aware of the many shooters wanting to try this powder so I think he was just as frustrated as we are.

That might work real well in both my 300Wby and 375Wby with certain wait bullets, like 150 and 165 in my 300Wby and 260gr in my 375Wby

bullet":3df3o2qx said:
That might work real well in both my 300Wby and 375Wby with certain wait bullets, like 150 and 165 in my 300Wby and 260gr in my 375Wby
....................Bullet!......NO! NO! NO!...You can`t use any Rel 17. :lol: You`re not allowed!..........You have enough velocity from them "real magnum" cannons of yours!! :lol: .......Us not so fortunate FOLK, with our "not so real magnums," and only me with such a shorty barrel, need a chance to catch up a little!!!!!:grin:............This powder is for the "shorty mags" and Rel 17 would just not feel right or at home inside such BIG "real magnum" cases!!! :cry: ...........Those powder kernals would feel like they`re in a huge dark museum instead of a nicer, smaller and cozier home!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

bullet":22a7jtpe said:
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
.................Bullet! I thought you`d get a laugh out of that!........ It will be interesting to find out if you do get any velocity bump from those large volume 300/375 Wby. casings! Alliant says Rel 17 is specifically designed for a velocity boost in the short mags, but not limited just to them..................Of course I would have to laugh my *** off if you didn`t gain anything or very little using Rel 17, while I gained more in my 300 WSM and .375 Ruger!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:.............Hey! I can`t catch up, but maybe I`ll close the gap a little???????.............. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Big Squeeze":5u8uw64p said:
bullet":5u8uw64p said:
.................Bullet! I thought you`d get a laugh out of that!........ It will be interesting to find out if you do get any velocity bump from those large volume 300/375 Wby. casings! Alliant says Rel 17 is specifically designed for a velocity boost in the short mags, but not limited just to them..................Of course I would have to laugh my *** off if you didn`t gain anything or very little using Rel 17, while I gained more in my 300 WSM and .375 Ruger!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:.............Hey! I can`t catch up, but maybe I`ll close the gap a little???????.............. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Big Squeeze you know that with your luck what will happen especially in my .375Wby is a 5% gain because it will act like 4350 but with more kick. Also it would just be your luck that I get a 5-6% gain with the 150 and 165 in my 300Wby and if that happens I will even be further head. I know, what a nightmare of a thought :shock: :shock: :lol: :lol: :lol:

bullet":md4fvixo said:
Big Squeeze":md4fvixo said:
bullet":md4fvixo said:

Big Squeeze you know that with your luck what will happen especially in my .375Wby is a 5% gain because it will act like 4350 but with more kick. Also it would just be your luck that I get a 5-6% gain with the 150 and 165 in my 300Wby and if that happens I will even be further head. I know, what a nightmare of a thought :shock: :shock: :lol: :lol: :lol:
.....................I haven`t seen any Rel 17 data on the 300/375 Wby`s yet! Until data is available, any gains are speculative at this point. However, there is data on the 300 WSM showing a net gain of 104 fps. with the 180 grainer over all other powders tested in the Speer manual........Assuming they test your calibers, if Alliant`s testing shows an increase in the 300/375 Wby`s, then you`ll have something. If not then you will have to wait until the 17 is available, then try it and see what happens!..............In return e/mails to me, the tech at Alliant indicated that by using REL 17, there will be a higher percentage of velocity increase in the short mags, including the WSM`s, 300 Remy SAUM, the RCM`s with also the possiblity of doing very well in the 375 Ruger...............Rel 17 will work better in the shorter, fatter cases. That is why it was designed, for that specific purpose! That`s not to say that the longer mags or standard cartridges won`t benefit to a degree...........I promise I won`t lose any sleep or have nightmares!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

We will see when it comes out and my chrono will let me know. I do know that the burn rate is favorable for lighter bullets up to 180grs in my 300Wby and especially favorable for the 260gr AccuBond in my 375Wby. So when it comes out I will find out. You know you could just get a 300Wby or a 375Wby and you would not have to worry about being close.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: 8) Just teasing you :grin:

bullet":h0mt6sq6 said:
We will see when it comes out and my chrono will let me know. I do know that the burn rate is favorable for lighter bullets up to 180grs in my 300Wby and especially favorable for the 260gr AccuBond in my 375Wby. So when it comes out I will find out. You know you could just get a 300Wby or a 375Wby and you would not have to worry about being close.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: 8) Just teasing you :grin:
......................................Don`t worry!.....I`ll have my sleepin pills and my meds ready just in case I don`t get a bump and YOU do!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:................Hmmm! A 300 Wby. compact with a 16.5" tube; 35.5" in OAL and 7 lbs. 6 oz with a scout scope?? There`s a thought, but HIGHLY unlikely coming from Weatherby! A 375 Wby. chambered in a lighter more compact 20" tubed rifle?? NOPE! Not likely there either!..........I don`t mind always remaining close!.....Where`s my meds!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Back