Ramshot Hunter Powder

trailrider121

Beginner
Mar 30, 2009
I've been using Ramshot Hunter in my 30-06 with 190 VLD Hunting. Got some time today to shoot some rounds, and also setup the chronograph to get a good readings. Have any of you guys using Ramshot Hunter experience temperature sensitivity?

As the temp went from 65 degrees (early morning) to 80 degrees (mid morning) I experience higher velocity. 5 rounds averaged 2790 fps, then the last 3 rounds went 2855 fps in in warmer weather. The ammo was not in the sun and nor was the rifle.

I stopped shooting due do the last 3 rounds gave me some pressure signs ( light click on bolt lift, and slight ejector mark. Ramshot Hunter has been working well, but I think I'm going to drop the powder, and switch back to H4350. I don't have much H4350,but summer is coming an so is deer hunting an we get temps around 90-100 degrees.

TR, I have noticed quite a bit of temp variance in my 30-06 with Hunter. I chrono'd a load at 90 degrees in Louisiana that went 2750 fps, and the same load went 2580 at 5 degrees F in Kansas. My chrono could have been faulty at 5 degrees also, but the POI shifted quite a bit. I switched to H4350 for more temp variance reliability, even though Hunter showed more accuracy potential.

Maybe it was my powder lot.

ramshot is double based powder, all double based powder is more temp sensitive than single based powder. and all powder is temp sensitive.
RR

I'm going to drop Hunter powder right now.I like the powder, it seems to work great, but maybe the combo I have is not working. I don't have much data to backup and say the powder is temperature sensitive, and my consensus is that I might be in the upper node which is not stable. Hence why I might be having problems with high ES and pressure signs with slight temperature change.

Ridge Runner, You might be correct on all powder being sensitive. However, I think if your really in a good node with your combo, you won't see much variation. Take Reloader 22 as a internet temp. sensitive powder, but when your in a good node it works really well. Of coarse you may see a little fps change more than usual. I know it worked really well in my 300 WM, and 243 win.

I going to drop the 190's as well, and go back to 185's as they shoot really well. I thought the grass was greener on the other side, and going back to my old 185 load.

I've learned to deal with temp sensitivity, what turned me against RE 22 was the lot to lot variences, I've saw loads go from 3300 to 3180 just from opening a new lot of Re22.
RR

Most of my experience with Ramshot Hunter is in the 338 WM.
Western Powder on it's FAQ page states that their powder varies 3%-5% over -40 to 125 Deg F.
That works out to 0.0003% per degree F.
My Chrono readings between 15 to 70 degrees agrees with that although not exactly linear. None of my loads tested were at the Book Maximums however.
Frankly I see more velocity variance between case brand capacities than temperatures.

However your difference of 65fps over 15 degs F would be more like 2.3% or 0.0015%/Deg F.

You don't say your powder charge but Ramshot's published data for other brands of 190gr bullets has max charge velocities around 2785fps so you are running close to published maximums. Maybe things get a bit spikey at that level. ???

I've started using some Hunter in the .30-06, after also trying it in the .300 WSM.

I haven't seen the big velocity shifts others are reporting, but perhaps I wasn't looking... Certainly experience wide shifts in temperature here in central Washington, so if I'm getting a problem it should show readily. I'll watch!

Thanks for bringing this up. I was getting good accuracy from the .30-06 with Hunter and 180's. Nothing I wanted to write up yet, but good.

Guy

I have measured significant shifts in velocities with a variety of powders. A load developed in summer (20 C) and shot during November or December (-30 C) does have a measurable loss of velocity. Oh the other hand, I'm not doing many shots over 400 yards, so I have never lost an animal due to velocity shifts. I am cautious to verify loads during the summer months when they have been developed during the winter months, just to ensure they will not produce excessive pressure. I only have a couple of pounds of Hunter, due to a general lack of availability here in the Great White North. I would definitely shoot more of it were it generally available. What little work I've done with this powder has been quite positive.

I'll do more testing later with Ramshot Hunter. So just keep an eye out on the sensitivity of your loads, curious if anyone else has issues. However, I shot a ladder test with my 260 using Ramshot Hunter with 130's, and it shot really well with speed being very stable. The temperature were I live is pretty stable here on the coast. The hills in the summer time ( during deer season) do get a pretty warm, so I try to develop my loads close to summer time.

I take a picture of 30-06 target and post is here later.

Hunter is an absolute favorite of mine. I haven't done a ton of chrono testing to note the issues you do, but John Barsness has said that it is not one of the most temp stable propellants out there. The challenge, as AI am sure you know, is that ball powders do their best at the top end of the pressure spectrum. That can leave a pretty narrow margin between enough pressure for top accuracy/low ES on one end and too much pressure when temps get toward the high end on the other. Of course as Ridge Runner points out toward the high end all propellants can have less than predictable results. Some just more than others.

The reason I've become so enamored of Hunter is not its extraordinary accuracy or low ES in any one cartridge, but my great results through my cabinet. It has given top speeds & great accuracy in:

6-250 w/ 90s & 95s

257 Bob w/ 100s

257 AI w/ 90s & 110s

30-06 w/ 165s & 168s

I shoot out to 400 on a regular basis and haven't seen temps as an issue w/in the normal hunting temps. I am not a target shooter and can see where it might be more significant if I were, particularly one who traveled.

I am with the other poster who pointed out that, by and large, internal capacity of different lots of brass is more significant pressure- and velocity-wise than most propellents' temp issues.

It is my go to powder in 6.5 Creedmoor, although I don't get out much in 90+ degree weather so I haven't noticed it being temp sensitive.

A Ramshot tech or ballistician told me that a powder can be just about perfect in terms of temperature tolerance for one application or another, but not so good for another application.

I remember reading about 8208 when it first came out, and when they tested it in different temps it actually produced a bit more velocity in low temps. I think it would depend on the application, though.

I don't know whether I believe they'll ever perfect a temperature tolerant powder, but I do believe that some are much better than others.

I was working with Ramshot Hunter Powder in my 30-06 last summer in mid 80-degree temps. Gun is a 22" barrel factory Rem 700, 1975 Vintage gun. I am currently shooting 165 Ballistic Tips with H-4350 getting 2800-2850 fps and it drives tacks, almost.

So last summer I loaded up some 165 BT's using 60, 61 & 62.0 grains of Hunter Powder. Just checking velocities only, thru the Chrony. I was impressed :shock: to see 2900 fps + and if I recall correctly close to 3,000 fps.(have to check my load notes to verify the 3,000 fps). I have the bullet seated out the length of the magazine tongue.

I loaded up some 165 AB's with 61.0 grains of Hunter right after that outing, just haven't been able to shoot them yet.
I never experienced any pressure signs last year during load testing. Cases are re-sized Winchester with CCI-250 Mag primers.

My goal is to keep working with it to see what the Accubonds will do, check velocity in colder temps and see what they it will do on paper eventually. I am curious at this point to continue on with it. Hunter is very easy to work with too.

Don

I'm kind of thinking 165 Ballistic Tips and either H4350 (which is what I usually use) or Ramshot Hunter, for my mule deer hunting this fall....

Not that there's anything wrong with my .25-06 and 115's, just looking to blood the new .30-06 700 CDL. Mule deer seems like a worthy opportunity. Black bear perhaps too...

The 168s are a real favorite of mine; nice thick jacket and fantastic BC.

I experimented w/ Hunter, 165 SSTs, RP cases, and WLRMs early on & exceeded 3k fps but primers were flat & accuracy was lacking. Once I backed off a couple of grains & switched to the 168 NBT (which has a shorter bearing surface) I got optimal speed, low ESs, & great accuracy. I think I'm hanging right around 2925?

I have found magnum primers to be critical in attaining <10 fps ESs w/ Hunter.

efw":1nerr4uf said:
Hunter is an absolute favorite of mine. I haven't done a ton of chrono testing to note the issues you do, but John Barsness has said that it is not one of the most temp stable propellants out there. The challenge, as AI am sure you know, is that ball powders do their best at the top end of the pressure spectrum. That can leave a pretty narrow margin between enough pressure for top accuracy/low ES on one end and too much pressure when temps get toward the high end on the other. Of course as Ridge Runner points out toward the high end all propellants can have less than predictable results. Some just more than others.

The reason I've become so enamored of Hunter is not its extraordinary accuracy or low ES in any one cartridge, but my great results through my cabinet. It has given top speeds & great accuracy in:

6-250 w/ 90s & 95s

257 Bob w/ 100s

257 AI w/ 90s & 110s

30-06 w/ 165s & 168s

I shoot out to 400 on a regular basis and haven't seen temps as an issue w/in the normal hunting temps. I am not a target shooter and can see where it might be more significant if I were, particularly one who traveled.

I am with the other poster who pointed out that, by and large, internal capacity of different lots of brass is more significant pressure- and velocity-wise than most propellents' temp issues.

I communicated with JB regarding his article

http://www.24hourcampfire.com/newsletters/May_2009.html

and he told me that he found Hunter to be very temperature stable. I use it for several .30-06 rifles and find it to be very consistent.

P

SJB358":2gcioqz0 said:
pharmseller":2gcioqz0 said:
I communicated with JB regarding his article

http://www.24hourcampfire.com/newsletters/May_2009.html

and he told me that he found Hunter to be very temperature stable. I use it for several .30-06 rifles and find it to be very consistent.

P

HAve you tried Hunter in the 7-08? Can't remember how you loaded yours?

The folks at Ramshot directed me to Big Game instead. Two mulies and a 4x4 Roosevelt later I can't complain.

47.5 Big Game, WLRM primer, Rem brass, 2.805" COAL, 140 NP. I switched to 140 NAB and maintained MOA accuracy.

6 different .30-06 (I'm Dr. Feelgood for the family) rifles all get Hunter. 3 bulls and idk how many bucks, no complaints.

P

For all the concern about temperature sensitivity, I can't say that it has ever been a significant factor in any of my hunts. I do shoot my ammunition in conditions near those in which I will be hunting to verify that it is performing as anticipated. I have not witnessed significant velocity changes that would create an unsafe situation. I have seen velocity loss, and even from "temperature stable" powders. For that reason, I like to have some indication of what to anticipate when I go afield.

Back