Done some more Sauer testing.

58grs Big Game Win LR primer in Win case gave 2872 fps this out of a Rem 700 BDL 22 in barrel.

That's pretty good. (y) Obviously extremely happy with this rifle so far, but I will say if my chrono is correct, it's barrel is a little slow. I loaded some up with 57-58 gr's of IMR 4350 at that seating depth to test, I couldn't resist as that powder has always worked well for me. I'll chrono those loads as well and that will tell me if it's a little slow compared to what I'm used to.

It may just have a slightly larger appetite. Sometimes a slower barrel isn’t really slower. It may take a little heavier charge weight to achieve the velocity. There are times when a ”slower” barrel isn‘t making the pressure another may make. Pressure and velocity go hand in hand. “XYZ” charge may make the desired velocity and pressure in one, but may not be producing the same pressure (lower) in another. With lower pressure it will in turn have lower velocity.

If I’m wrong correct me, but doesn’t Sauer nitride their barrels on the 101? If they do the barrel will have less friction and the throat will last much much longer. The ‘06 isn’t hard on barrels but that may have an influence. Like I said, I may be wrong but Sauer nitrides most of their barrels instead of blueing. Nitrided barrels build pressure more slowly than not. Due to the extremely hard surface nitriding produces, and lower friction coefficient.

It may just have a slightly larger appetite. Sometimes a slower barrel isn’t really slower. It may take a little heavier charge weight to achieve the velocity. There are times when a ”slower” barrel isn‘t making the pressure another may make. Pressure and velocity go hand in hand. “XYZ” charge may make the desired velocity and pressure in one, but may not be producing the same pressure (lower) in another. With lower pressure it will in turn have lower velocity.

If I’m wrong correct me, but doesn’t Sauer nitride their barrels on the 101? If they do the barrel will have less friction and the throat will last much much longer. The ‘06 isn’t hard on barrels but that may have an influence. Like I said, I may be wrong but Sauer nitrides most of their barrels instead of blueing. Nitrided barrels build pressure more slowly than not. Due to the extremely hard surface nitriding produces, and lower friction coefficient.

Man you got me, that could be I don't know? Maybe you taught me something I didn't know about my gun. Ha. I took measurements with a bunch of different bullets to the lands just so I had that on record for it, and it's not in any way a long free bore chamber, so it's not that as it relates to pressure. Easy to get to the lands with every bullet but the 150 Speer HC out of all the different brands and weights I checked.

It's not way slow, but I felt roughly 50 fps or so behind what it should've been at a couple charge weights with 4064 and those 165's. When I check it with 4350 I'll know better where it compares to what I typically see with that powder.

I have read a few times that Sauer nitrides the 101 and higher models, so maybe look into it. I could be way off base.

I bought 2 24” 223 Wylde barrels. I was leaning towards having them nitrided but (was cheap) had my skepticism. I had 1 nitrided and 1 was parkerized so I could compare. The nitrided barrel gets 150 fps more than the parkerized barrel from the same action before I get pressure signs with 55gr .224 E-Tips. I will add that nitriding is supposed to be almost as durable as a chrome lined barrel without any of the dimensions being affected.

Just for the record, you are a big influence on my next rifle purchase. I really like your 101. Oh, BTW, I’m blaming it on you when my wife asks as well. :sneaky:

Last edited:
I have read a few times that Sauer nitrides the 101 and higher models, so maybe look into it. I could be way off base.

I bought 2 24” 223 Wylde barrels. I was leaning towards having them nitrided but (was cheap) had my skepticism. I had 1 nitrided and 1 was parkerized so I could compare. The nitrided barrel gets 150 fps more than the parkerized barrel from the same action before I get pressure signs with 55gr .224 E-Tips. I will add that nitriding is supposed to be almost as durable as a chrome lined barrel without any of the dimensions being affected.

Just for the record, you are a big influence on my next rifle purchase. I really like your 101. Oh, BTW, I’m blaming it on you when my wife asks as well. :sneaky:

Lol. Blame me if you must!

The 101's are a different animal from the 100's, I do know that. Has the ever rest bedding system. The front of the bolt has 6 large locking lugs, not 3. Completely different looking bolt up front besides the difference in locking lugs. The safety blocks the firing pin not the trigger. The firing pin also cannot go forward until the bolt is completely closed in battery. That part I'm not sure on if the 100's are the same or not.

Unlike the 100's, the trigger is not adjustable. But trust me you wouldn't need it. Trigger on my rifle is a factory work of art.

Back