ADDITION UPDATE— Just Ordered 5lbs Staball HD From Hodgdon This Morning/Giving Ramshot LRT A Try In 7mm Rem Mag

Joec7651

Handloader
Apr 7, 2019
As of last Sunday, I have 8lbs of Ramshot LRT coming and am looking forward to seeing what it will do with 175gr Eld-x and 180gr Hybrids. From what I’ve seen elsewhere it looks to have potential. It has since arrived.

TO ADD- I just ordered 5lbs of the new Staball HD from Hodgdon this morning. It’s in stock. So is Staball Match but it’s load volume looks identical to CFE223 to me. They Didn’t have 8lb jugs available so I ordered the max of 5lbs Staball HD. Sooooooo, looks like I’ve hit my limit for this month already. 8lbs Ramshot LRT, 5lbs Staball HD, and a brick of Remington 7 1/2 BR primers for my PRS rifle loads. If I could just find a brick of LRM primers I’ll be set for as long as I’ll be shooting here on this rock. Ok, maybe 2 bricks. I have 3700ish on hand so 1-2 will set me up from here on.

I figure if I can’t wring out accuracy, velocity, and consistency from 175-180gr ELD-x and Hybrid bullets in 2 customized/rebarelled 7mm Rem Mag rifles with either of these powders, I’m just a lost cause and give up, LOL. So far my groups with heavy 7mm bullets and slow powders has been impressively improving.

As it stands RL25 is my go to for the 175s at 3003 fps and US869 is giving 2900 with 180s. This from a 1:8 26” x-caliber barrel. They are about 75 fps slower from my other 7RM with a 24” 1:9 tube. Great velocity for both in my opinion, and both loads shoot nicely at 1/2-3/4”. 175-180 grains of 7mm sent into the vitals and your tag is filled, and thats mouse to moose.

As a side note I’m going to see how N130 does in my 45-70’s this summer. With prices at the levels they are, i can’t use cost as an excuse for not using Vihtvouri powder anymore. 8lbs of N130 is now cheaper than the last 8lb jug of IMR4198 I bought.

Last edited:
I have 8lbs coming and am looking forward to seeing what it will do with 175gr Eld-x and 180gr Hybrids. From what I’ve seen elsewhere it looks to have potential.

As it stands RL25 is my go to for the 175s at 3003 fps and US869 is giving 2900 with 180s. This from a 1:8 26” x-caliber barrel. They are about 75 fps slower from my other 7RM with a 24” 1:9 tube. Great velocity for both in my opinion, and both loads shoot nicely at 1/2-3/4”. 175-180 grains of 7mm sent into the vitals and your tag is filled, and thats mouse to moose.

I’m giving the LRT a shot due to the volatility of supplies. I’m hoping to find an option that’s more accessible. Because I know for a fact that there are many many powders out there that would perform great that I’ve never thought of trying. Simply because I stick to what I know, IMR4831, 4198’s, CFE223, TAC, RL22 through 26. IMR4831, H4198, and most RL powders are non existent right now. I have a a healthy stock of all but it won’t last forever.

As a side note I’m going to see how N130 does in my 45-70’s this summer. With prices at the levels they are, i can’t use cost as an excuse for not using Vihtvouri powder anymore. 8lbs of N130 is now cheaper than the last 8lb jug of IMR4198 I bought.
You will need a lot of powder as most loads will be over 100% fill. They use well over on 264wm, 300wm and 338lm cases with heavies.

Definitely interested in your results. I use H1000 in my 7mm Rem Mag and I have a good supply fortunately. I get 3000fps with 180gr out of a 26" barrel. LRT may have potential...
I don't know about what accuracy you'll have, but you should be getting more speed. Most speeds are within 50fps on n570 at max. Accuracy speeds might be more spread?

My Ramshot findings as a conpany are ...

OK...

Definitely not great...

But OK

5.56 which I shoot a lot of

7.62x51 which I shoot a lot of AR10

300WSM

45 ACP

Lethal?
Yes

Can those platforms group better with other powders?
Most definitely

I use Ramshot today when I can't get others. It won't win any matches but certainly good enough for defense and hunting...pending how picky you are with group sizes

I wouldn't deem it an automatic sub MOA powder

But rather around a MOA or slightly bigger powder

YMMV

Good luck

Oh I’m sure it will do just fine. We will all have to wait until I burn a grain or two first though. Can’t say one way or the other yet.

Eurenco has a pretty good handle on things over there across the pond. They ran Bofors and PB Clermont to the tune of about 2500 metric tons of powder last year. I think all of our “American“ stick powders are made in Australia for Hodgdon, and Canada for IMR……
Also all of PBCs powders are REACH compliant as green powders. Ramshot powders aren’t going anywhere.

Oh I’m sure it will do just fine. We will all have to wait until I burn a grain or two first though. Can’t say one way or the other yet.

Eurenco has a pretty good handle on things over there across the pond. They ran Bofors and PB Clermont to the tune of about 2500 metric tons of powder last year. I think all of our “American“ stick powders are made in Australia for Hodgdon, and Canada for IMR……
Also all of PBCs powders are REACH compliant as green powders. Ramshot powders aren’t going anywhere.
After reading my reply again, I want to make sure everyone knows I wasn’t downing any manufacturer for importing. Just the opposite. In my opinion our most outstanding powders are made abroad. I’m hoping LRT will be similar to H870 of yesterday. It may not have had screaming velocity but was very consistent with heavier bullets. Gotta shoot it to know.

After reading my reply again, I want to make sure everyone knows I wasn’t downing any manufacturer for importing. Just the opposite. In my opinion our most outstanding powders are made abroad. I’m hoping LRT will be similar to H870 of yesterday. It may not have had screaming velocity but was very consistent with heavier bullets. Gotta shoot it to know.
I'm hoping for good results in the 3 I bought it for. It might have to replace retumbo and 570 until this country gets started again!

Best of luck, I’ve been using a lot of RS lately just because it’s available and economical. So far TAC, big game, and Magnum have all impressed me.
RS/PB Clermont in Belgium produces very high quality powders. They have been doing it a LONG time. Hunter works every bit as well as the 4831’s, many times better velocity due to load density and I’ve had no fall off on group size. It’s simply been force of habit with me sticking with IMR4831, not performance. Cost is quickly changing this.

RS/PB Clermont in Belgium produces very high quality powders. They have been doing it a LONG time. Hunter works every bit as well as the 4831’s, many times better velocity due to load density and I’ve had no fall off on group size. It’s simply been force of habit with me sticking with IMR4831, not performance. Cost is quickly changing this.
Big game is fantastic in our 7-08's, Magnum has proven a real winner in the 280 AI. TAC and the 64 BSB is a match made in heaven in 223 Rem. Easily 3/8" groups @ 100 yards from a 18" barrel.

Big game is fantastic in our 7-08's, Magnum has proven a real winner in the 280 AI. TAC and the 64 BSB is a match made in heaven in 223 Rem. Easily 3/8" groups @ 100 yards from a 18" barrel.
TAC pushing Hornady 75gr bthp’s from my PRS rifle will consistently group less than .5 moa at 200 yards. It’s a 24” nitrided bull barrel and gives 2918fps with the load. It works pretty much as well in my 308’s but CFE223 beats Varget in my favorite 308. TAC works. No question about it.

I may have to give Big Game a try in the 308’s. I’ve got 12-13lbs of CFE223 as it stands but it sounds like a really great option. Thanks Hunter.

TAC pushing Hornady 75gr bthp’s from my PRS rifle will consistently group less than .5 moa at 200 yards. It’s a 24” nitrided bull barrel and gives 2918fps with the load. It works pretty much as well in my 308’s but CFE223 beats Varget in my favorite 308. TAC works. No question about it.

I may have to give Big Game a try in the 308’s. I’ve got 12-13lbs of CFE223 as it stands but it sounds like a really great option. Thanks Hunter.
Western does list loads for 308 in big game, but not hunter. It should though?

Hunter is a 4831 burn speed powder. I‘m not sure you could get enough into a 308 case. It works well in 270’s as Dan said.

In a short barrel lrt WILL have lots of muzzle flash and concussion, because of lots of muzzle pressure (50-100% more pressure at muzzle). I have lrt, but haven't used any yet (264 & 300wm, 338lm & possible if 7saum and 6.5prc).

Back