Alliant RL-22 in 7mm SAUM?'s

waterboy411

Beginner
Jan 15, 2005
Hi all. Been a while since I've posted here. Anyhow, I'm needing a starting load for Alliant RL-22 in the 7mm SAUM. I'm shooting 150 Nosler ballistic tip bullets, and using Winchester WLRM primers. My Nosler #5 manual has data for the 160 and 175 grain bullets using RL-22, but not for the 150 grain bullets. I have already tried RL-19 and H4831(regular cut) with good results. Just wanting to try RL-22 is see how it does. The H4831 loads seem to be a bit more consistent, but both are accurate. BTW, these loads are being fired in a Ruger 77 mark II(22" barrel) 7mm SAUM rifle. The loads I have tried so far are 58.0 grains with RL-19, and 60.5 grains with H4831, both with the 150's. The RL-19 loads seem to have a "sharper" recoil for some reason. A shooting buddy of mine helped me zero my scope in a couple of weeks ago, and he observed the same recoil differences as I did. He also noticed a difference in report of some of the RL-19 loads. Some loads sounded different than others. Any thoughts on this? I've read on the net about RL-19 sometimes having wide swings in pressure, and being especially temperature sensitive. These RL-19 loads were all loaded at the same COL, same primer lot, and same powder can. I've also read that RL-22 is less temp sensitive than RL-19, but I can't confirm that with personal experience. Thanks in advance for your help. Howard. :?:

Well I would look at how many grains of powder there putting in a 160g load and then go up maybe 2g's for a max load w/150's. Looking at the book, they call for 59g RL-22 for both 160 and 175g's. So I'm quite sure you can go up to at least 61g with the 150g bullet, start around 58-59g though, whereever you feel comfortable. I do a lot of cross referencing from books, other peoples loads, and places like reloadersnest and accuratereloading. This way if you dont find your particular powder/bullet combo, there is references out there that have what you need. If you have a cronograph, they are essential in working up loads.

RL powders are all very inconsistent when it comes to different lots and temperature. I worked up a load couple weeks ago in my 7 RM, 168g vld, Rl-22 at 64g's. It clocked right at 2940fps. Well I ran out of that can, bought a new can, loaded up 64g went and shot and wow, 3100fps. More then 150fps difference, and it was a lot hotter, and doubled the group size. I had to back down to 63g for 3000fps, but probly should have went down to 62.5g. RL-22 is no better then RL-19 which is no better then RL-25, you get the idea.....They are usually accurate, and fast powders, but there damn inconsistency sure is a pain in the ass sometimes. I"d rather just work up loads with Hodgons extreme powders and not really have to worry near as much about consistency overall. In fact I think I might just try H4831sc, or H1000 in my 7 mag with 168g vld's.

Thanks remingtonman. Sounds like RL-22 might be a waste of time, as I'm looking for consistency, instead of headaches. I use a lot of Alliant powder for my .41 magnum handguns, and they seem to work fine in that application. Guess I'll stick to H4831 in my 7mm SAUM, and may pick up the SC version next time around. Thanks again. Further comments are appreciated.

Waterboy, I've had good luck with 150's in my 7mm saum with H-1000. 67grs. with a 150 partiton went almost 3100 f.p.s. I had inconsistent resluts with 7828 too. Also had good luck with H-4831.

Sorry no saum but I use a 7mm rem mag and 150BT's. My mainstay was 4831/150BT, however i switched to RL22 and haven't had a problem. In fact it is my primary powder in the 7 mags, consistant, accurate and fast. Being I hunt in Saskatchewan, Canada where the core temp can be as low as -30 or be in the 60's I have yet to see the temp. sensitivity issues I read about. Maybe its b/c I feed it are 215GMM's or maybe I am just biding time till the headaches come?? Guess we'll see. 7828 has been good with 160gr (+) for me.

I think the H4831sc would be a good one to try but seeing you already have some H4831. Is it the problem or just looking for load using a new bullet? If you want to try RL 22 or have some already, I'd go off the h4831sc data in noslers 5th and drop a .5 grain off the max load(just to be safe). Work up as normal.

Good Luck

Skeeter, no H4831 is working fine. I am just an Alliant powder junkie, as I use Unique, Blue Dot, and 2400 for my .41 mag loads. They all work great. I have a couple pounds of RL-19 on hand that are from the same lot, bought at the same time. I just thought I might try RL-22 to see how it compares with H4831 accuracy and recoil-wise. RL-19 seems to kick harder and sharper than the H4831 loads do. Should be about the same speed, but I'm only guessing since I don't have access to a chrony.

Back