Almost a real bad day

hunter24605

Handloader
Apr 30, 2016
Working on a Turkey call I had a hunk of wood spinning in the lathe at 750 RPM, once it was mostly round I was going to run it up to around 1K. I dropped the tool and leaned to reach for it when the string on my hoodie got snatched by the spinning wood. Lucky all it did was yank my head a little, but pulled the string right trough the hoodie and out! Could have easily pulled my face into the lathe. Must be living on the good side of the Lord! And yes, I knew better than to have loose clothes and strings, but wasn’t thinking.

Oh man!
Glad you’re OK. You paid a minimal “Stupid Tax” instead a high stupid tax rate. Someone was looking out for you.

Please don’t take offense. Anytime we do something we shouldn’t do we have the potential to pay what I think of as a , “Stupid Tax”. Lord knows I’ve paid a fair share of stupid tax over the years but so far it’s been a reasonable tax rate as I’ve not killed, dismembered, or exsanguinated myself yet.

Vince

Glad that you were not hurt.. I do a bit of turning on an old lathe that was my Fathers. One safety recommendation that I have been ignoring is no long sleave shirts
while turning. I have been blessed in many ways. A quick youtube search for safe turning practices may be a good source of refresher safety points to remember.
Thanks for posting. Rol

Couple years ago at work they had a video of a guy who got caught an a large lathe , not good.
Glad you’re all right.

Glad you didn't get hurt Howie. It happened for a reason and when we can learn from our mistakes, we are better for it. Stay safe and keep turning out those fantastic calls. Dan.

Been there. Only with a wrench on collet nut atop a Bridgeport. I turned it on with the wrench still affixed - missed my heat by only a few inches.

Take a few deep breaths and be very, very grateful.

Glad you're okay.

Working on a Turkey call I had a hunk of wood spinning in the lathe at 750 RPM, once it was mostly round I was going to run it up to around 1K. I dropped the tool and leaned to reach for it when the string on my hoodie got snatched by the spinning wood. Lucky all it did was yank my head a little, but pulled the string right trough the hoodie and out! Could have easily pulled my face into the lathe. Must be living on the good side of the Lord! And yes, I knew better than to have loose clothes and strings, but wasn’t thinking.
Could've been really bad, glad you're okay :D Few weeks ago I got a stone launched into my eye from a lawnmower(one of those old ones). Shattered my glasses and gave me the biggest blackeye of my life :D Gladly it went a bit lower and didn't hit the eye itself
Upd. Doc told me that I still need like a week of proper recovery(apparently it cracked some bone, my face been like one of those cartoon dogs that got bit by a bee for a few last weeks). Kinda sucks since my wife and I wanted to partake in running event(local store Run United does those time to time, pretty fun!). Welp, it is what it is I guess...

Last edited:
Back