An old man and his rifle

I watched a couple of minutes of it. I’ll watch the rest on my TV. 7x57 is my favorite and I have 2 of them in No. 1’s. Without watching anymore I’m sure I’ll like the video.

Good video. Thanks for posting.
Make ya want to get a No. 1!

JD338

He's getting great performance out of the old rifle he obviously loves!
Always nice to have faithful old rifles that perform well and are a hoot to shoot!
Not to mention the memories that they create, and the smile they keep on one's face!

One thing I noticed was his loads are way I hand loadpast max in the Nosler manual. The 50.8 gr. IMR4350 is 1.8 gr. over Nosler's max which they say does 2820 FPS from a 22." barrel using the 140 gr. AccuBond. I'm not surprised about the erratic results he got when adding more powder.

I hand load for the 7x57 for three different rifles, one being a Ruger #1A with 22" barrel. My pet load usued RL17 and velocity is 2880 FPS. Accuracy run close to .50" from my M70 Featherweight, slightly under an inch from the #1A and the verdict is still out on a custom built on an FN Mauser that turns out has a defective receiver. I have to take it back to my gunsmith and see if the action is salvageable. The action was originally on a .270 that I got in a trade that turned out had a problem. I stuck it in the back of a closet and forgot about it. and the problem. If its locking lug set back I have a problem that requires a new receiver. If not, then maybe the rifle may be fixable. Somehow, I fear it will be the lug set back that I'm looking at. I never knew a commercial FN Mauser to have poor heat treating so I'm thinking the original owner made some extremely hot reloads wrecking the receiver and was unscrupulous enough to pass it one to me as part of a trade deal. Can't even travel to see him and kick his rear end as he's beed dead for some time. I hope he likes heat.
Paul B.

As the owner and user of a #1AB in 7X57 I truly can understand how he feels about his rifle. Also have a #1B in 280 but it doesn't get the use that the 7X57 does. Other #1's that I would like to own are #1V in 22-250 and 300 Win and #1 medium sporter in 35 Whelen. I understand that the demand may have not been what it once was but shame on Ruger for dropping such a fine piece.

Back