An Original Springfield

Guy Miner

Master Loader
Apr 6, 2006
Enjoyed shooting this today at the gun club:

YTpDXpuh.jpg

Didn't try for any accuracy tests, just banged away with it, enjoying shooting one of Dad's rifles. I'll get serious about zeroing it and building ammo for it. Just not today.

Guy

Very nice rifle Guy. I wouldn't be surprised if she is a real shooter.

JD338

They make fine cast bullet shooters too. Some say the two groove shoot cast extremely well. I can't say that for sure as the one I have is an early 1903A3 with four groove barrel. IIRC, something like 47.0 gr. of 4895 with a 150 gr. bullet was the standard load for the Garand. It shoots fairly well in my rifle. But then again, I never was a good shot with iron sights of any kind.
Paul B.

Oh man, cool old rifle. (y) I have the rifle, but not in original form like yours. Mine is sporterized. Don't know if they are all that way or not, but mine is super slick feeding. They have the milled feed lips in the receiver timed just right.

Its nice sometimes to simply "bang away."

I am a judicious handloader for certain of my rifles, for others (like my Savage 99 E .308), I can buy a box of 180 grain Remington Round nose Core-Lokts and not only bang away euphorically, but hunt with them that way too. Didn't burn through $X of components to wring out the very best of options? Nope and in cases like these, I don't need to!

As you said Guy, sometimes it's nice to just bang away.

Your dad must have had quite the collection of old firearms. Good to see you’re putting them to use.
He did, with some very interesting stuff. Some of it I'm familiar with from having shot long ago, some of it is new to me.

Also, his father had quite a gun collection. The two sons, my dad and my uncle, of course split that. Sadly one of my cousins sold off all of my uncle's guns when he hit hard times. I would have bought them all from him and kept the collection together. We lost some really cool "family guns" when my cousin sold 'em. Sigh. However I have to admit that he was in tough times and needed the money. I just wish he'd have let me know. Too late now, they're gone, as is my cousin. He died pretty young. :(

But ya, Dad had some great stuff and I am enjoying having his guns here, and getting to know them. Some I shot in my teens & twenties. Some after that. Some I've never shot.

This morning I hunted with his old 12 gauge Remington 32 over & under. Heck of a shotgun.

Regards, Guy

Back