Another .308

filmjunkie4ever

Handloader
May 4, 2011
So even though lately I have been downsizing, I found the nicest Remington 788 I have ever seen on the fire about a month back. It was in excellent shape, came with 3 mags and was chambered in .308!!

I sent a check, my FFL called when it arrived. I now own another .308!

I roughly sighted it in but will fine tune tomorrow depending on how much of the shooting range is left after the Rail Ridge fire came through.

Loaded up some 150 grain Sierra Gamekings on top of 45 grains of Varget. If she shoots half as good as she looks, I have a winner! Will post pics and results after the range trip tomorrow!

Speaking strictly for me, and based on my collecting habits, I think it's hard to have too many 308s. It was the caliber I started with and I have more of those than anything else.

I have two 788s, a 308 and a 30-30. I think you'll be happy with your find. 788s have a reputation for being shooters.

Ron

Speaking strictly for me, and based on my collecting habits, I think it's hard to have too many 308s. It was the caliber I started with and I have more of those than anything else.

I have two 788s, a 308 and a 30-30. I think you'll be happy with your find. 788s have a reputation for being shooters.

Ron
This is my 3rd .308. I owned a push-feed M70 that I ended up trading, a Savage 99E that I still have but rarely use, and now this 788. There is absolutely nothing wrong with a .308, its a great cartridge. I just happen to prefer the .30-06!

That said, this Remington 788 checks a lot of boxes for me and I am certain we are going to get along well!

So loaded up to go to the range this morning, when I got there I saw that everything past the 75 yard board was burnt up in the fire. So I snapped some pictures, then packed up and left. At least you get to see the rifle.

Attachments

• IMG_8499.jpeg
    IMG_8499.jpeg
    571.9 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_8498.jpeg
    IMG_8498.jpeg
    944.5 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_8495.jpeg
    IMG_8495.jpeg
    905.7 KB · Views: 17
Wouldn’t mind a 788 in 30-30 , but the prices are on the hefty side.
Try looking for a Winchester M54 sometime. I snagged one in 30-30 for $400. Thr stock id literally devoid of finish, bluing is AWOL but the bore is as shiny as a brand new silver dime. It came with a factory install Redding receiver sight. I've been offered a little $900 for the gun but it's my pet for serious cast bullet shooting.
Paul B.

Was that an original walnut stock for the 788 that was fixed up and checkered?
I don’t believe so. There are two reasons why. Firstly I think all the other 788’s I’ve seen had birch stocks, this one is walnut. The other is, that it has a shadowline cheekpiece. No sir, I believe it to be aftermarket. And very well done at that.

2 things i haven't been a fan of..........308win and rem's.............while i still don't own any rem's i do have several 308's in ar's only. when i was a kid the 308 seamed to be a big caliber for me, but did shoot 264wm since the age of 11 (go figure). 308win is a die-hard take no prisoner efficient cartridge! it just took me about 38 years too figure that 1 out.

2 things i haven't been a fan of..........308win and rem's.............while i still don't own any rem's i do have several 308's in ar's only. when i was a kid the 308 seamed to be a big caliber for me, but did shoot 264wm since the age of 11 (go figure). 308win is a die-hard take no prisoner efficient cartridge! it just took me about 38 years too figure that 1 out.
The .30-06 has always been my favorite cartridge but there are no flies on the .308! It is accurate, efficient, hard hitting and as ubiquitous as bad decisions on Saturday night. It’s little wonder that it has been a top 10 seller nearly from inception.

Reading thru this has got that itch started again. I have / had most modern cartridges but never a .308Win. I’ve got a Sav99 in a 300 Sav. That’s as close as I’ve got. I’ve been looking at 308s for years now but with a few 300WSMs laying around I couldn’t justify buying one. A good buddy of mine from high school had a 308 in a REM 788 too. Shot very well if memory serves.
Now my wife could use one…. maybe in a BAR.

Back