Another Accubond Question

I have killed bull elk with the 165 AB and the 180 PT. I observe the 165 AB is as effective as the 180.

I prefer the 165 AB in my primary 30-06, because the rifle loves that bullet with H4350. If you had a rifle you sighted in 4 years ago and every time you shoot that load it’s dead on, you would like it too!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SJB358":jlc7awd4 said:
Silent Sam":jlc7awd4 said:
I can't believe a 165 at 2900 would be any better than a 180 at 2700 on an elk. I use the 180's in my 30-06. Haven't hunted elk with that load but have put down many large (300lb+) south Texas hogs and have yet to recover a bullet and the hogs drop pretty quickly. Hogs aren't elk but they're a good bit tougher than deer.

I don’t necessarily think they are better but they do stretch the string a little tighter for a rifle sighted in without dials or a BDC. Not a big deal but the 165 AB at 2900 opened my eyes to how lethal and bone crushing the old horse could be.

I'm not a "dial spinner" when I'm hunting either. I do have a B&C reticle on my '06 with verified drops. With better bullets today than years past it is feasible to drop down in weight but that wouldn't be my personal inclination on elk. To me, a handful of yards way out there isn't worth the weight close up especially when we are talking ABs in both cases. I think the recommendation to look at 190s is a good one.

I've killed 4 elk with my 30-06 and 180 gr. Nosler Accubonds. All one shot, dead right there, kills. They do work well.

Back