Another boot review-- Cabela's "Perfekt" by Meindl

tddeangelo

Handloader
May 18, 2011
A few know what's coming, lol, but back in November, I scored a buy on a pair of these:

http://www.cabelas.com/product/CabelasP ... l+Products

Happened to be at the local Cabela's store and a new pair had found their way into the Bargain Cave in just my flipper-footed size (13). They were heavily discounted, and I had birthday cash to burn (my b-day is around Thanksgiving).

First impressions were that they were STIFF. Turns out, they provide support, something I was unaccustomed to from years of whatever boot I could get somewhat cheaply (usually Wolverines, which I'd thought I liked a lot...till now!).

My only complaint was that the gussets from the tongue to the boot would "squeak" when laced on....kind of annoying, but wasn't really a functional issue, although a stalking hunt might have been interesting in that circumstance!

Anyway, as they were breaking in, I bought some Obenauf's boot leather protectant and put it on them (just this past month), and the squeak is GONE!

The Obenauf's loosened the leather the last little bit, and they are now....well....perfect. Comfortable, great support, great traction, just all around love these boots. I will make my first venture west for elk in 2013, and I plan to give them a good run then. In the meantime, I've been wearing them around home to hunt turkeys, did some of my late season hunting last year in them, and will hunt this coming year's season in them as well.

When I did put my old Wolverines on (they aren't worn out yet, figured I'd use them for "work boots"), they felt like sneakers! Wow! I didn't know what I'd been missing!

I wore the Meindl boots while scouting and hunting in some areas in the mountains here (some of you will question if they're really mountains, lol). Glacial rock deposits everywhere, which are great for turning an ankle, especially if they're smaller rocks buried in the leaf pile on under the trees. A couple times, I'm pretty sure the boots saved me from a sore ankle when an unseen or loose rock tried to turn my ankle a wrong way.

Anyway, I have seen a couple pairs of these and the "Canada Hunters" from Meindl appear in the local store's Bargain Cave, usually at $60-$100 off prices for what appear to be new boots. My boots were $80 below retail, which I just couldn't pass up. Very glad I did not.

If anyone's interested in such boots, feel free to give me a shout with your size and I'll try to keep an eye out when I go in and see if the proper size appears. Never know just what will appear in that Bargain Cave! ;)

Great review, Tom. I had one pair of Meindl boots. I could never get them to not hurt my feet. This is not the fault of the boot, but a consequence of my arthritic toes. I might have to give them another look.

Thirteen is flipper footed? I'm a 13! Of course, I am 6'6" tall, so maybe that makes a difference. I'd have you look for my size, but somehow I think you would scoop them up for yourself! :mrgreen:

I already have a pair. There IS a pair in 13 there right now, actually. Same identical boot as mine. I was just in there today to peruse optics (boy, is there optics counter getting to be a waste of time), but I always stop in the Cave when there. I've scored some good deals in there. In fact, I'm trying to decide if I want to get the Swaro I saw in there today, actually.

Anyway, BK, if you are interested in the boots, they are size 13 and are $187. Look new to me. No scuffing on the boots or the surfaces of the soles. The "nubuck" type leather, when untreated, shows lace marks FAST, and none are to be found on these. I surely do not need another pair just yet, so no worries on me buying them. My attention now is on optics and an old rifle.

+1! on the Perfekt. I've had a pair for 10 years and they're just about worn out. 10 years of elk hunting, 2 years of everyday work wear and they are still waterproof and the most comortable boots I own. Wait till you'll get them worked in!
+1 on the Obenaufs - been using that stuff since I was a wildland firefighter. That would be 25 years ago. It is the best leather treatment out there. I've used it on boots, saddles, tack, chaps, scabbards, belts and holsters.

That is great to hear about the Obenaufs. I just so happen to have a can of it for my Asolo's which will be getting the treatment pretty quick. Sand and rocks are making the boots look pretty rough.

I just tried some Obenauf's on my Irish Setter Elk Hunters. Seems like its as good as or better than the Snow-Proof I've used for years. I've just ran out of the Snow-Proof last year so your recommendations for the Obenauf's was quite timely!

Best thing I've found right now for applying Obenauf's is to let the boots sit in the direct sun for a half hour or so to warm them up, then apply while outside in the sun, as well. Keeps everything warm and the leather really takes up the wax. I did a pair of Cabela's SIlent Stalkers, which are partly leather, this way and it worked GREAT. Really work the wax in with your fingers and with everything fairly warm, it soaks right in.

Those Silent Stalkers are several years old, and the leather was VERY dry (I never treated boot leather before I got the Meindl's). It soaked up that Obenauf's like a dry sponge.

My father told me to treat my boots after letting them set in the attic in the summer for two days. Then another two days after treatment. Same philosophy. The sun sounds more forgiving and less chance of forgetting them.

We used to hang horse tack near the woodstove prior to and after treating also.

Back