Another misfit cartridge, 325 WSM

Thebear_78

Handloader
Sep 30, 2004
I picked up another rifle chambered in a misfit cartridge, the 325 WSM. It’s a Winchester extreme weather. I’ve always thought the 325 was a very well balanced cartridge that deserved more interest. As a big game cartridge it sits right in the middle of a great performance window. With 300 win mag on one side and 338 win on the other and fits in a short action.

I topped it with a trijicon 3-9x40 with mildot reticle. I am extremely impressed with this scope. Extremely good glass, great reticle, and light weight. At $600 I think it’s the best bang for your buck out there.

I’m looking forward to getting started on some loading for it. The 200gr AccuBond and the hammer hunter 192gr are on the short list. I think the 192gr shock hammer would be a fantastic all around bullet in the 325.

How many other 325s out there? Any relevant experience with bullet selection and performance?

Attachments

• 655F82B3-6CC9-494E-BC5B-1CF2DF0CD881.jpeg
    655F82B3-6CC9-494E-BC5B-1CF2DF0CD881.jpeg
    453.9 KB · Views: 11
  • 07FB66EE-3CC2-43E1-9E56-DE93AE25AEF4.jpeg
    07FB66EE-3CC2-43E1-9E56-DE93AE25AEF4.jpeg
    242.6 KB · Views: 11
Congratulations on the new rifle. With the glass you mounted and the 200 gr AB, you can hunt anything you want in AK. The 325 WSM is a big stick in a small bundle.

JD338

I don't have one yet, but the Trijicon is the scope I decided I will buy for the next hunting rifle I get. I spent months researching before coming to that conclusion. Glad to hear a good report of it!

Also interesting cartridge, I probably have heard of it at one point but I definitely don't see it around much. Seems nifty.

The 325 WSM was/is one of my favourite cartridges. I sold my rifle to a fellow that just had to have it last fall. The very next day he tagged a fine bull elk. He was very impressed with the performance of the rifle. I help a young chap load for his rifle chambered in the cartridge. My favourite load was the 200 grain Partition launched by 64 grains of Big Game for a velocity of near 2900 fps and consistent accuracy in the vicinity of 0.30-0.35 inches. That load was a hammer that accounted for quite a few head of game. My other load, which wasn't used nearly as much as a 220 grain Sierra GK launched by 65 grains of RL19 for a velocity of ~2550 fps and an accuracy between 0.70 and 0.85 inches. Another load that showed a lot of promise, though I never did take it afield, was a 220 grain A-Frame ahead of 61 grains of H 100V. If I could only have one rifle here in northern BC, the 325 WSM would get a very close look.

I got to take it out shooting tonight. It does show some promise. Winchester 200gr AccuBond CT clocked right at 2966fps and hovered just over an inch for three rounds at 100 yards. The nosler 200gr AccuBond load ran right at 2990fps but averaged 1.5-1.75” groups.

It Has quite a bit of thump to it when it goes off. I’ve been spoiled with all the light cartridges and suppressors over the last few years.

The trijicon 3-9 was excellent. I’m very pleased with this optic. I’m thinking about buying a couple more. The mildot green dot setup is outstanding.

I never owned a Trijicon, but I've shot rifles that were bearing a Trijicon on multiple occasions. I like the scopes--a lot. If I was buying a scope at this time, I would almost assuredly look at a Trijicon. The LGS didn't handle them when I was going through a lot of scopes, or I would have undoubtedly had one to use.

There is no doubt that a 200 grain AB at those velocities will handle anything you might encounter in your AO.

Nice looking rifle TB-78. That was one cartridge I was looking hard at before I built my 35 Whelen Ackley Improved.
At the time I couldn't find one I wanted to pay for since the scalpers had them priced well over my budget, so I had a M70 CRPF in 30-06 safe queen I sent off to J.E.S and had him bore it out and chamber it for the 35 WAI. That round impressed me so much that I stopped looking for a 325 WM.
I hope you like it, and it performs up to your expectations.

I loaded for several years for a buddy who shoots a 325 Winchester. It's a great cartridge that is pretty darn impressive on game. It was easy to find a handled for both Accubonds and Partitions.

Nice rifle Bear. I've been looking at the same one myself for awhile now. Definitely a good all around choice for the field here in AK. The 8mm's are often overlooked I feel but have always intrigued me.

Not quite the same but I had an 8mm Remington mag for about 7or 8 years, killed 1/2 dozen elk with it, all one shot kills. A year or perhaps two before the 325 came out I was having a hard time getting proper bullets. On it‘s last Elk hunt I had exactly 3 Nosler’s backed up by Hornady 8mm designed for Mauser velocities. Sent the rifle off to Kenny Jarret, perhaps 25 years ago now, got a 338 Jarret back. No complaints.
Had I known of the 325 WSM I would have bought one in a heart beat figuring bullets would be in better supply.

I bought my boy one years ago in a Savage 16 FS. Best load was 200 Nosler Partition 65 gr IMR 4350 at 2900+ fps. I remember he nailed a nice pronghorn at 408 yards one year. DRT. He also killed a 200# Texas hog in Uvalde with it.

I've had one for 8 or 9 years, a savage 16 stainless, but never loaded for it. I just shot Double Tap ttsx amo. I only carried it a few times hunting, and took a black bear with it, and it performed great. But, for whatever reason, its been hiding away in the safe ever since. This Has me thinking about pulling it out and doing some load work for it.

I got to take it out shooting tonight. It does show some promise. Winchester 200gr AccuBond CT clocked right at 2966fps and hovered just over an inch for three rounds at 100 yards. The nosler 200gr AccuBond load ran right at 2990fps but averaged 1.5-1.75” groups.

It Has quite a bit of thump to it when it goes off. I’ve been spoiled with all the light cartridges and suppressors over the last few years.

The trijicon 3-9 was excellent. I’m very pleased with this optic. I’m thinking about buying a couple more. The mildot green dot setup is outstanding.
That sounds like great performance; a little tweaking, and I'm sure you'll be getting DrMike's group size. Nice looking rifle, too.

I finally picked up a M70 Sporter in 325 WSM a few years ago, put a Burris 3x9 FFII on it. So far it seems to be a pretty easy rifle to like. I really should dust it off and take it hunting. My current load is using the 180 Ballistic Tips around 3k with Hunter. One of these days I’ll grab some of the Sierra 220’s Mike mentioned to work with.

It’s one of those cartridges that’s grown on me a bit.

The cartridge does hit above its weight. My experience leads me to suggest that the 200 grain PT is more than enough for about any game in NA. I don't believe I gained anything with the 220 grain pills. Nevertheless, for completeness, they do provide accuracy. I sold my rifle last year, and the fellow who bought it tagged a 6X6 elk the next morning. Yeah, the cartridge flat works.

Back