Another reason the .308 is so cool !

308 is on par with 06 up through 168 grainers then the 06 takes over because of the powder capacity. Both are great the 308 is nice with lighter slicker short action for up through medium bear and medium range but the 06 will handle the 180 much better with more speed. I have one 308 and two 06' in the safe. Guess I like both. The ironic thing is my 308 weighs about 13 pounds and I only shoot it on the bench. For hunting a nice mountain rifle would be really nice to carry.

I am a pretty huge fan of the 308. My wife shoots a 308, my son a 243 and I shoot a 358. All three of them are really well suited to deer, and the 243 and 308 and I guess the 358 (never tried) can be dowloaded with lighter bullets and mimic smaller calibers. I like the 243 with a 80 gr bullet loaded around 2800fps and a 150 loaded to around 2600 in the 308. They shoot really well for my wife and son and don't beat them up in their lighter rifles. My 358 is an awesome rifle. I would take an elk at 300 yards with it, no questions. It is light, packs well and is a hammer when loaded properly. Scotty

I do like many of the .308 off shoots too.
One rifle on the market that has me intreaged is the new Browning BLR take Down
I handeld one at a store awhile back, and cant see for the life of me why a switch barrel version is not an option.
A lever with a 22 inch tube in say .260, with a scope on the frame in QD rings, then pop of that scope and attach a 20 inch tube in .385 win or .338 FED with a scout scope.
I would jump all over somthing like that.
Have a fitted case built for it and the whole 9 yards.
But to me the good old .308 is the best of the bunch , and while the .260 or .243 are probably a little better for deer & antilope in open country , and the .338 or .358 would be better for elk in the bush, the .308 will do all those jobs by its self quite well.
And while as I stated the .358 and .338 are better for elk in the brush, a 165 grain Partition or acubond , Would probably do at least as well as its bigger bore cousins out at the longer ranges.
The lighter .358 Bullets, (I shoot a Whelen) shed velocity prety quicky. and at some point the .308 bullet would start to have an edge.
...tj3006

Glad to see this thread,,, I do not have a 308 or 30-06 except for my M1 Garand,,,but my uncle has 5-6 308s and a couple 06's and wants me to load him some ammo with the 150 BT for deer in both calibers,,, funny thing is the data I have shows the 308 just 150-200 fps behind the 30-06 with these bullets, I figured there would be more of a spread.

I have a ruger no 1 in 7 stw what an animal it is on deer, although my 308 works well also it's a rem 700 vls. the stw is far better at 500 yds than most have fun with it ,,, let the bbl cool well though

I have an STW too!
Mine is a model 70. but I don't shoot enough to go out past about 300yards. At least i shouldnt.
I have a .257 weatherby to, and it will smoke a buck at some real range too,
Are you the guy who used to as .25,06 reminton man from Hermiston Or ?
...tj3006

Have a old Browning BLR in 308 win.....that I have used for years.

Using a Handloads of 165 Sierra BT and 180 Nosler Part I have taken game from coast to coast and on the The North Slope of Alaska.

The 308 Win has never let me down.....under 300 yards and he is in the frezzer!

308 is a great calibre. Whether just starting out shooting or an accomplished shot, an individual will not go wrong with a 308.

tjRoberts,

I too like 308 rifles for the reasons you gave and that they are available in lighter rifles like the Kimber Montanas that you and I use.

I have had a battery of pre 64 M70's going back to my first one in 1957 and when the 308 came out it was in the same action as the 30-06. No good reason to get a 308 then and there was more surplus ammo around too for the 06.

But today the lighter rifle appeals to me.

To sweeten this thread on the .308 Win., it's the cartridge that has shot the smallest groups ever at 600 yards. Several ten-shot groups were fired from a Hart-barreled Win. Model 70 from full-length sized cases using Lapua 185-gr. bullets. Group sizes ranged from about 1.4 inches down to .75 inch. Benchresters don't believe this, but what do they know?

tjRoberts said:
I just cleaned my kimber .308.
I had fired about 40 rounds since the last bench type cleaning. (I use a bore snake at the range.)
Among the 40 or so rounds I fired were bullets from 3 makers including the infomas bore fowling barnes.
I cleaned using the excelent barnes copper solvent, and there was no blue on a single patch.( quote='tjRoberts"]

tjRoberts:
I found the Best cooper cleaner for removing cooper fouling is
"Bore Tech Eliminator" There are a couple good ones, but I ordered
this stuff on advice of Douglas Barrel makers. I purchase a Douglas
which says to clean every 15 rounds while sighting in....blah :).
anyhow, I don't think the Barnes stuff is working to remove cooper
which is there after 40 + rounds.

Kenny

Back