Another rifle loony joins the .358 Win club.

You are going to really like that 358. I shot a nice whitetail doe two seasons ago with the 225gr Sierra and it made about the same hole. I am planning on putting alot of time and effort towards my 358 BLR when I get home. I have the same idea for a scope also. Something in the 2x7 or straight 4x. Either should work really well for the 358. I like bullets 1.5x5 also. Hard telling just yet. Scotty

The lever gun should work just fine for your plans. I've used my BLR to drop bison, and it worked quite well. I've used one of my 356s to drop grizzly and the other has taken a number of elk, mule deer and black bear. There is no worry that your Savage will not work very well on North American game. I believe you got a honey of a rifle and that you are definitely going to enjoy it.

If I could ever find a nice 358 Win Savage for a decent price, I would scoop it up. They are a classic! Scotty

That exit wound that Jeff Olsen posted is very similar to what I get from the 225 gr PT at 2650 fps from my 35 Whelen. I have shot quite a few WT deer with this load and most dropped in their tracks. Only 2-3 ran off. 30-40 yds and the blood trail was very heavy for easy tracking to a dead deer.

JD338

That is what I am looking for, easy tracking! Seems like the 225gr PT is about perfect for the 358. I am going to experiment with Sierra's first and then push on to the NP. That way I may be a little closer and not shoot so many of the expensive ones during testing. Scotty

beretzs

Sounds like a good plan. The Sierra's shoot well but my guess is that they are a little soft for hunting. I think the 225 gr AB would also be a good bullrt but may not work well on lever actions and their shorter magazine length will would require you to seat the bullets pretty deep into the case.

The 225 gr PT will work just fine on deer size game. A few years back I shot a WT buck at about 60 yds. He was facing me in the swamp but wouldn't come in any farther. I shot him right at the base of the neck and dropped him in his tracks. The 225 gr PT from my 35 Whelen at 2650 fps MV entered the base of the neck at the chest, took out the plumbing to the pump station, clipped the lungs, liver and exited in the gentials. I was very surprised to discover that the intestines were not busted up at all.
On broad side shots through the lungs, the PT causes a lot of trauma to the lungs and leaves an exit hole slightly larger than a quarter. The 250 lb black bear I shot through the shoulders destroyed the lungs but didn't do a lot of damage to the meat.
These results are due to having a robust bullet at a medium velocity.

Hope this information is helpful.

JD338

That is very helpful and what I was looking for. I will see how they both shoot. The best would be if they good with similar loads, that way I could use the Sierras for practice and such and use the Noslers for hunting. Your right about the AccuBond, I was also thinking of getting those, ditching the tip (filing) and loading them. I would think they would be about right then. That is my third option.

I know the 35's are penetrators. I am a huge fan of the Whelen, and I think the 358 will do just as good. After I get a 225 for the 358, I am going to do a 250 for the Whelen. Scotty

Hello again fellow .35-ers!

My rifle is a Model 7 LSS that I had rebarreled by Pac-Nor. I went with a 20" tube. Below is a picture.

I called Sierra one time and talked to them about that 225 Game King. They actually said it's perhaps too HARD a bullet from a .358; that it's designed for Whelen and 350 mag speeds. My asking around on other internet forums would tend to support that, as I did find a few reports of "penciling through" with that bullet from .358's.

The 225-gn Partition is probably the best all-araound bullet for .358 in my opinion... and it has a great BC, up above .4, and actually holds enough speed to be above Nosler's stated minimum for expansion, out to 400 yards or so when started at 2500 fps! How relevant this is to how any of you use your .358, I don't know, but I did shoot the Nosler PT and Sierra a BUNCH at 400 yards, and they clearly out-performed my standard deer load, the 200-gn Hornady, which has a terrible BC and really moves around in the wind.

The buck that has that big hole in him actually ran a long ways! Amazing. But the blood trail was like a red carpet. That's what I like about the .358; so far in 6-7 deer killed with it, they either fall right over or leave one HELL of a blood trail.

Here's my rifle. I did just order some Talley LW's for it:

M7.jpg

That is a great looking rifle. Looks like it is a nice handling rifle too. I am kind of torn between the Sierra and Nosler. I think both of them are going to get a fair shot at loading and hunting. The Sierra's have already proven they are good shooters, and the Nosler PT has a proven track record on game. I just got some data on AA2520 and they have some loads for over 2500. I guess I will see in a few weeks. Scotty

beretzs":13ui0xov said:
If I could ever find a nice 358 Win Savage for a decent price, I would scoop it up. They are a classic! Scotty

My brother has one of those 99's in 358win and has had it for 30yrs and he is loosing some of his hunting interest. I am trying to get it from him.

Jeff, great looking rifle. The 225gr Sierra is a good bullet to use as is the 225gr Partition. You have no fear of the Sierra not performing on anything that might be big and tough or dangerous when using the 358Win, nor will one have a problem with the above if he is using a 225gr Partition. Both bullets will open fine on deer size game and enough to do the job as well as hold together on bigger stuff. In my opinion these two bullets are the perfect bullet for this cartridge bar none for accuacy, energy, momentum and down range ability as well as close up. This I hope to prove in the next few years of my hunts. I have with the 35 whelen and now going to if the Lord is willing with the 358Win.

Back