another seating depth question

stew

Beginner
Feb 6, 2016
First off I do not have a seating depth tool I no I should on this gun I used a dowel in the barrel method.
Gun is a Remington 700 30-06. Bullet Speer 180 BTSP Speer manual tested at 3.250
I have shoot at a OAL of 3.280 for years and decided to try some things this weekend.
Measuring with the dowel I came up with a OAL of 3.410 I loaded up a bunch of 2 shot groups starting at 3.270 up to 3.390 now the 2 best groups were at my old load of
3.280 and again at 3.370.
Curious as to thoughts on the jump if I stuck with the 3.280 load. Does the 3.410 sound like a realistic OAL.
Any other thoughts.
I no how Ive explained it is quit confusing but thought I would ask.

I guess I'm not following the question very well but if the 3.280 shoots good I would not worry about the jump distance as long as the bolt closes and the shells fit the mag box.

3.410" sounds pretty realistic with those soft point bullets. Remington 700's (at least my old 270 win) come with quite a bit of freebore. Remember however it will measure quite differently with different bullets.

Yeah, your best bet is to leave well enough alone. I'd probably opt for the longer OAL however with those 180s. You could probably push them a little harder with more space in the cartridge. And those M700 long actions come with quite a long magazine, so they will fit no problem.

Thanks guys and yes I make things sound pretty confusing. 10 years ago when had no computer would just load and go shoot. Now I read to much about it and think I should try all other things. With my short time on this site the people have been very helpful.

stew":2mnp5q5v said:
Thanks guys and yes I make things sound pretty confusing. 10 years ago when had no computer would just load and go shoot. Now I read to much about it and think I should try all other things. With my short time on this site the people have been very helpful.

We all do it, that's why we are here. :lol: Nothing wrong with trying new things but for me when I do 99% of the time I end up right where I started because it worked so well in the first place.

Back