Antelope Fajitas!

jmad_81

Handloader
Feb 14, 2007
I was lucky enough to get to tag along on a speed goat hung here in Oregon last week. The unit we were hunting had had a very dry year and there was not much feed. We saw half the goats we normally do, and the biggest one we saw was about 75". Normally a guy can get a goat with another 10" on that if he hunts hard. Anyways, My buddy made a great shot with a 280 AI and a 160 AB, dropping a nice goat at 921 yards. He didn't really want the meat as much as he just wanted to get out and go hunting, so I got half of the spoils!!

I cut it up into a munch of 1' cubes, browned them, and put them in with some onions, green and yellow peppers, and some fajita seasoning. Let it all simmer for a while, then put them on some warm shells with some sour cream. It was pretty tasty! My wife likes it better than elk so I'm pretty sure that is basically like giving me permission to go hunt Wyoming every year...right?

Well, I'd reckon that your good lady is granting her blessing on your speed goat hunt henceforth, Jake! :mrgreen:

Way to go Jake. Glad you got clearance orders from head quarters.
Congratulations to your buddy. Post a picture of the Speed Goat and the fajitas.

JD338

Jake it is good to get clearance from the commander before setting up a trip with the boys 8).
Really Jake that sounds like a great recipe. I miss hunting Prairie goats as we have had our season taken away now for either 2 or 3 years because of low numbers :(.

Blessings,
Dan

Did you write 921 yards? Wow! What a shot.

That recipe of yours sounds GREAT! I got hungry just reading your post... Dang.

After her first taste of pronghorn steak last fall, my wife is very pleased that I intend to continue hunting them. She said it's the best game meat she's ever eaten, and far better than beef as far as she's concerned.

Cool. Back to Wyoming I'll go!

Guy

I didn't get any of the pics, if I did I would have posted it in the hunting section. I was on a ridge a mile away keeping an eye on the goat while they stalked in. I was watching him when he just collapsed, a few seconds later I heard the rifle report, the bullet traveling, then a very solid whack! It was pretty cool.

This was his first kill with his 280 AI. They guy has been shooting a 270 Win forever and is freaking deadly with it, he just wanted a custom that had a big more range than his 270.

I've finally turned my wife around to eating game meat and we are slowly making our way through last year's antelope. Seven total, five mine and two were my hunting partner's. He gave them to me.

You all are lucky in that your wives like eating game. I had to bring mine along slowly but she's accepting of it if I take the time to prepare it. I cooked up the last of the backstraps earlier this week using a garlic and beer rub that I fried in a cast iron skillet in bacon grease. The garlic and beer mix gave it a great taste according to SWMBO.

This year it's just deer, and maybe hogs down in Texas. I'm trying to plan next year's larder filler. Those fajitas sound delicious. I'll have to give it a go.

Back