Antelope , SB's, & PT's

jdmason480

Beginner
Jul 23, 2005
For those with an academic interest, I've only recovered two bullets from game in my 25 years hunting with the 7mmremmag. Both were from antelope. One was a 120 gr solid base loaded to 3,350 with IMR4350. Hit the animal at 125 yds at the center of the base of the neck as it stood directly facing me. Recovered the bullet against the pelvic bone. It weighed 84.5 gr with a 0.54" diameter. The other was a 150 gr PT loaded to 3,230. Hit just behind the right shoulder as the animal quartered toward me at 239 yds. Recovered it at just about the same place though this time just under the skin. It weighed 94.7 grs with a 0.46 diameter.

I've killed a couple of antelope with 140 gr PT's but never an AB. Took an elk with two 160 gr AB's last year--first shot through the shoulder and out the base of the neck. Second shot heart/lung through the ribs behind the shoulder. Both had large, circular exit wounds with no sign of bullet fragmentation.

In recent years I have opted to use one bullet for everything--currently 160 gr AB. Helps me minimize variables and keep ballistic charts in my head.

jd

I've killed a couple of antelope with 140 gr PT's but never an AB. Took an elk with two 160 gr AB's last year--first shot through the shoulder and out the base of the neck. Second shot heart/lung through the ribs behind the shoulder. Both had large, circular exit wounds with no sign of bullet fragmentation.

In recent years I have opted to use one bullet for everything--currently 160 gr AB. Helps me minimize variables and keep ballistic charts in my head.

jd

i just returned from wyoming from antelope hunt.shot heavy buck through lungs at 60 +yds,110 AccuBond .257 ackley imp,3200 fps.perfect expansion at that range,no bullet recovery.didn't even quiver,next hunt will be for cow elk,same bullet.
8)

Excellent! Congratulations!

I, too, just returned from an antelope hunt (South of Vaughn, NM). Here are the data:

Browning A-Bolt 7mmSTW w/Vari-XII 4X12X40AO
77.7 gr RL-25 behind a 160 gr AB at about 3,200 fps
160 yd broadside placed just behind the shoulder
0.284" entrance with about 2" perfectly symmetrical exit--nothing but ribs and lungs

Next hunt for whitetail in Louisiana--probably using Winchester Model 88 lever action .308 with 165 gr Partition. Hunt after that a cow elk hunt in New Mexico in December with the STW and AB's.

Nosler is the best! (Unpaid endorsement)

jd

I also just returned from a Wyoming antelope hunt. I took a large buck @ 465yds with my 7STW.

I shot a 162gr A-Max bullet @ aprox 3,100 ft/sec. Bullet struck low in the chest and blew several ribs free from the sternum, then blew the entrails right out of the stomach wall. :shock: It was an ugly site but the buck checked out quickly. The A-Max is an unbelievable soft tissue, bigame bullet. It does very well in the Wyoming winds with a BC of .625.

I would not use this bullet for shoulder shots on game larger than deer. Heck, thats what they make Accubonds for. :lol:

Great posts guys. We appreciate the info and the support.

Back