Antonio's First Big Game Hunt

hightopoutfitter

Beginner
Oct 9, 2008
Back in May 2010 I posted a topic discussing our friend and fellow Officer, Sgt. Franco Aguilar being killed in the line of duty in a tragic accident that threw him from a bridge.
He and I hunted yearly on at least one hunt. He was a great friend. Well here is the rest of the story as our hunting adventures have been cut short:
About April 20 I received confirmation that Franco had drawn his Utah Limited Entry Antelope Tag we had been waiting for after 3 years of applying. He had some real good luck and drew out almost every year for some kind of hunt.
On April 29 Franco was taken from us. After the funeral and everything started slowing down I spoke to Franco's oldest son Antonio who was 16. Franco and I had discussed getting Antonio on a hunt with us during our previous hunts.
I asked Antonio if he would like to hunt the Antelope hunt his dad drew out. He told me that he wanted to do it. So I made some calls and the Utah DNR would not re-issue the tag to Antonio which surprised me.
However Lt. Scott Dalebout in the Southern Region contacted the CWMU manager Shayne Ford who after hearing the details Shayne gave Antonio one of his landowner vouchers. Well step one out of the way.
Now we needed to get Antonio hunters safety. So I got Antonio, his sister Alyssa and my daughter in hunters safety back in June. I sat through the class with them, we got the shooting done and they all passed.
In September I contacted Shayne. He sent us the voucher, we secured the tag and the hunt plans began.
Franco used my 257 Weatherby with Nosler Ballistic Tips and Accubonds on all of his hunts with me.
Well Antonio wanted to do the same. We went out to the range and shot my .257 with some 3610 FPS 100 grain Ballistic Tips. Antonio was shooting great groups and I felt confident going into the hunt.
Shayne scouted the area. He gave us some good information as he was busy guiding deer and elk hunts.
High Top Outfitters Owner, Outfitter Jay Simon, HTO Guide Matt Rhinehart and I headed out with Antonio. We made the two hour drive, grabbed some breakfast and began the hunt. We located a bunch of Antelope and a few good bucks. We made a move on 3 nice bucks. We got set up and were trying to decide which one to take when Matt spotted a real tall buck we guessed to be 16 plus inches. The buck had some does with him. We made a move on him and Antonio got an opportunty at him at about 350 yards. The shot missed and off went our buck. We wasted no time in getting back after it. We located one of the other bucks we wanted. This buck had a real nice curl to him with good mass.
We got an opportunity at him. We set up Antonio on a bi-pod. The buck turned and at 310 yards the ballistic tip did its job. A short run, down he went. We all started yelling in excitement.
Antonio had just completed one of my long awaited dreams I had for his father Franco. Franco would rely on me yearly to choose his hunt and then we would get it done if he drew out. The buck was just over 13.5 inches. We took photos and then headed for home. I was proud to see Antonios concentration in a fast moving situation. His dad was a great shot. The apple does not fall far from the tree.
Jay Simon, Matt Rhinehart and I were fortunate to participate in Antonios first hunting adventure. We were humbled by the experience. Antonio is a part of our HTO family just like his dad was. We will do it again......

Attachments

• antonio2.jpg
    418.1 KB · Views: 634
  • antonio1.jpg
    antonio1.jpg
    430.8 KB · Views: 634
Congratulations to Antonio. Trust this creates great memories, reminding him of a father's love.

Congrats Antonio on your first trophy. Your dad would be very proud as all us dads are of you :)

Blessings,
Dan

Back