Small game big fun

wvbuckbuster

Handloader
Nov 5, 2015
Growing up and living in Hillbilly Land we cut our teeth on squirrel hunting and I still enjoy it. There wasn't alot of deer in my part of the state and when one of us kids got a fox squirrel you'd have thought it was a 8pt buck. Enjoyed a day in the woods with my son squirrel hunting and scouting for deer. Got this fox squirrel along the way. Dan

Growing up and living in Hillbilly Land we cut our teeth on squirrel hunting and I still enjoy it. There wasn't alot of deer in my part of the state and when one of us kids got a fox squirrel you'd have thought it was a 8pt buck. Enjoyed a day in the woods with my son squirrel hunting and scouting for deer. Got this fox squirrel along the way. Dan
Won't let me post the picture. You'll have to take my word for it.

Yep, wore off a lot of boot rubber in Greenbrier and Pocahontas counties. A big old fox squirrel made the day. This one was back in 1979 or '80 I still enjoy it today, although I don't get out as much as I'd like to, but the grandson is old enough now, so I'll make time for hunting tree rats.

Attachments

• squirrel.jpg
    squirrel.jpg
    127.4 KB · Views: 13
Got several nice red fox squirrels on my property here in WV. Can’t talk myself into pulling the trigger on one so I just hunt the grey squirrels.

Yep, wore off a lot of boot rubber in Greenbrier and Pocahontas counties. A big old fox squirrel made the day. This one was back in 1979 or '80 I still enjoy it today, although I don't get out as much as I'd like to, but the grandson is old enough now, so I'll make time for hunting tree rats.
Howie that fox squirrel is as big as a groundhog:eek: Dan.

Howie that fox squirrel is as big as a groundhog:eek: Dan.
Dan, Me and dad was sitting on a log. I was looking down the hollow and dad was looking up. I saw the fox squirrel and tapped dad and told him about, he turned around and said he thought it was a groundhog, until it started up a tree. We waited a few mins and it worked it's way within .410 range and I shot and knocked it down. It wasn't dead and was crawling toward a log. so dad put a .22 in its noggin to keep it from escaping into the log....But naturally he let me claim the kill.

We all seem to get wrapped up in big game hunting and larger caliber firearms and forget what the small game hunting does for us, until we get out and do it again...sure brings back fond memories of simpler times and simple fun with more targets of opportunity!

Also gets those of us who no longer have those smaller caliber/bore firearms going on a search to replace those long since gone firearms so we can get out there and relive those fun adventures...for me, it has been the Winchester Model 69A and Model 37A!

While I really enjoy owning and hunting with my RSI 10/22 and my Benelli Ethos, it really is a lot of fun to shoot and hunt with the 69A and 37A again! Sure puts a grin on the chin! 😁 And the ruffies and rabbits don't seem to mind which they get shot with:devilish: (It's been awhile since I shot a red squirrel)

Glad you all are having fun!

Got my first squirrel at age 8 and now 65 I still like to hunt for them or just watch while deer hunting. Hope I never lose interest in these interesting animals. Dan.

Back