Any tips on boresighting a Rem 700 VTR with integral MB??

jtoews80

Handloader
May 19, 2007
Anybody here know how to boresight a VTR?? the integral brake won't allow use of a pilot boresighter and I hardly want to buy a lazer bore sighter for one rifle.

Any tips??

JT.

JT,

I bore sight almost all the bolt guns myself by pulling the bolt and looking through the barrel at a 25 yard target to centre the bore. Then, I adjust the scope to approximately the same point, checking by looking again through the bore. Make certain the rifle is steady on the bags throughout this procedure. After this,, one shot at 100 yards, and adjust the scope to the hole. Finished. The muzzle brake should not complicate the procedure. Many of the rifles I shoot have muzzle brakes.

If the brake is not removable, remove the bolt, look through the bore at a target and adjust the scope to look at the same spot. Fire it at 25yds and make adjustments. Then move to 100yds.Rick.

Here is how to save yourself some ammo also. Set the rifle up on a solid rest remove the bolt and look through the bore and center it on a 1 or 2 inch dot on a target at 25 yards and adjust your scope to this spot. Now fire a "good" shot. Now place the cross hair of the scope on the spot you were aiming at. Now while holding the rifle steady and looking through the scope adjust the cross hair until it centers on the bullet hole. You are moving the cross hair from were you were aiming to the bullet hole. Now move out to 100 yards and shoot on a 1 inch grid target. If your rifle will shoot and you can shoot and the scope will track properly. You can fire one shot and adjust the scope to where you want the proper point of impact by counting how many inches and what direction you need to move the cross hair. Do the math of how many clicks it will take to move your cross hairs to that point and put those clicks on your scope. You are now zeroed and it only took two shots.

I agree with all the above.
The ADT Security sign across the street at my neighbors house works excellent for me. I put my sand-bags in the middle of the kitchen counter and look down the bore @ the sign. As the gun is held steady, I'll then move the x-hair to the sign.
I'm always on the paper @ 100 that way.

Have you done anything with the stock on your VTR ?

As the others have said, I do the same by removing the bolt and ensuring that the rifle is unloaded and safe.
I use the front porch light on my neighbors garage 125 yds away to bore sight on. I have always been on paper at 50 yds and make sight adjustments from there.

JD338

I actually go to the range and strap the rifle down to the bench. Sand bag first as needed, put a rag between the strap and the barrel just ahead of the reciever. I put a torpedo level on the bottom half of the ring and adjust so the rings are level. Lay the scope in the rings. (I mark it for correct eye relief before I strap the rifle down-then take the scope out and begin the process noted above.) Once I have the rings level I put the scope in the rings and put the top half of the rings on loosely. On my target, 25 yards away I use the level again to put a target up perfectly level on my back stop. My targets have a "cross" through the bullseye and I use those lines to square up my cross hairs. (Line them up with the lines on the page).
Snug up the top half of the rings and the cross hairs should be very close to square with the rings and perfectly vertical.
Then bore sight as noted above. Just be sure to unstrap the rifle before you pull the trigger. Holding the barrel down with the strap will cause it to recoil straight back....and it will smart! If you are real optomistic strap it down again, with the center of your hairs on the bullet hole, adjust your dials so the cross hairs are centered on your bullseye and you are readt to fire the "last" shot.
Last time I did this I had my 7mm-08 2inches high and dead on in 4 shots. It worked for me.
CL

I havent looked at teh vtr close enough to know if this will work but I used it on a rifle with the boss and it worked just use a larger pilot!

also as the others stated prior will definately work

DrMike":2pho2gt6 said:
JT,

I bore sight almost all the bolt guns myself by pulling the bolt and looking through the barrel at a 25 yard target to centre the bore. Then, I adjust the scope to approximately the same point, checking by looking again through the bore. Make certain the rifle is steady on the bags throughout this procedure. After this,, one shot at 100 yards, and adjust the scope to the hole. Finished. The muzzle brake should not complicate the procedure. Many of the rifles I shoot have muzzle brakes.

Ditto but I go straight for the big orange circle at 100 yards and center it in the bore. Then move the croshairs to it. I have gotten pretty accurate at it.

Yeah, but your eyes aren't as aged as mine, POP. :lol: Hence, the big orange circle at 25 yards first.

Back