anybody fish for

Ridge_Runner

Handloader
Sep 29, 2006
Thee north carolina carp?
r0kPxcr.jpg

caught 2 citations last month, I don't see the attraction, but they were there and the water was too dirty to hold king mackerel. was a good time fishing with old friends

yeah, its fun but! the locals blow them out of proportion, those 40# drum that you hafta release pull about 1/2 as hard for about 1/2 as long as a 40# ray, but the rays are considered trash by the locals while the drum are revered as something spectacular to catch. So I make sure while I am there to refer to them as the North Carolina Carp!

Been a while, but my buddies and I enjoy getting out for honest-to-goodness carp here in Washington, with our fly rods. They can PULL and one fellow had a carp shatter his 7wt Sage fly rod! Typically I'll use my 8wt rod for them, but a 6wt will do - ya just gotta play 'em longer and not use as much drag... It's all sight-fishing, wet wading in the shallows. Occasionally I'll catch a bass while fishing for the carp. Makes for a fun day. We just release 'em all anyway, it's just for the fun of it.

Crud - that photo has to be 10+ years ago... I need to get out there for carp again! Oh - that's my camera case floating in the water next to me.... LOL!

Carp!.jpg

Enjoyed fishing for carp, drum, and buffalo when I lived in KS and in TX. Carp was thought to be a trash fish, but an Indian neighbour would pressure cook any I would bring her. When she was finished, it was hard to distinguish her preparation from canned salmon. All in knowing what you're doing, I reckon.

Caught some gigantic carp out of Lake Michigan at the Nuc plant discharge in the spring. Now this was probably 45 years ago but they were in the 20 - 30+ range. One or two to get it out of your system then back to trout fishing.

Back