Anyone Have Experience with the CETME 7.62X51 NATO?

HAWKEYESATX

Handloader
Aug 15, 2016
GQdzLxN.png

rwUO9Qn.png
I just acquired a CETME 7.62x51 NATO, and was wondering if anyone else had one, and liked it?

DrOwRBd.jpg

I had one. It was a lot of fun but expensive to feed. The muzzle blast tends to be horrific and they eject with enough force to cause injury. Like I said, lots of fun. Accuracy was OK, difficult to mount optics. Great fun plinking though. Just remember your ears and don't have anyone to your right.

Polaris":3ttbz2bp said:
I had one. It was a lot of fun but expensive to feed. The muzzle blast tends to be horrific and they eject with enough force to cause injury. Like I said, lots of fun. Accuracy was OK, difficult to mount optics. Great fun plinking though. Just remember your ears and don't have anyone to your right.

I will gladly take your advice.
I'm hoping it will be a lot of fun.
I know they're not really known for accuracy.
I'm thinking about just using the less expensive FMJ's for this one.

HawkeyeSATX a.k.a. Bryce

I saw a few out here years back. All of them were super rough and jammomatics...I came away that with the opinion that "deep down" they were a good rifle ( "buried" 8 ft down!) ha. Just kidding...a little.

I just read that it is a rolling locking cam action, and blowback. It's not a gas operating system like on an M1 Garand, or an AR-15.
It's based of the German MG42 action. So it's a pretty strong and durable action.
It's like the father of the H&K 91, PR 91, and the G3.
It has a good lineage.

HawkeyeSATX a.k.a. Bryce

preacher":1llzjvzm said:
I saw a few out here years back. All of them were super rough and jammomatics...I came away that with the opinion that "deep down" they were a good rifle ( "buried" 8 ft down!) ha. Just kidding...a little.

LOL Preacher

HawkeyeSATX a.k.a. Bryce

They are very reliable once you get them running right. The specs on the builds weren't very good, some need some tweaking. I had to modify the magazine angle a bit on mine by grinding away at the stops on the magazine body. Easy to do with G3 aluminum magazines. This rifle essentially is the HKG3. Germany had adopted the FAL, but FN charged to high a license fee, so they adopted this Spanish design which is a derivative of the NAZI STG 44.

Polaris":3tmf5b6z said:
They are very reliable once you get them running right. The specs on the builds weren't very good, some need some tweaking. I had to modify the magazine angle a bit on mine by grinding away at the stops on the magazine body. Easy to do with G3 aluminum magazines. This rifle essentially is the HKG3. Germany had adopted the FAL, but FN charged to high a license fee, so they adopted this Spanish design which is a derivative of the NAZI STG 44.

By golly, you're exactly right Polaris!
You certainly know your stuff!
Outstanding!

HawkeyeSATX a.k.a. Bryce

They also eat brass. Fluted chamber and delayed roller locking action stretch and score it beyond practical re-use. I used to buy bulk mil brass and plan on using it once. Mine cycled reliably with a load of 4064 about halfway between Lyman start and max with a Hornady 150 FMJ. They run dirty but are easy to strip and clean. Use starting fluid and a tooth brush. Lubricate with penetrating oil on small parts., moly lube on the rollers and bolt carrier. Oh, and watch your primer seating depth, or you'll find out first hand why an 8 pound select fire rifle in 7.62mm NATO was a questionable design decision. Looking forward to a range report. I'm pretty well versed in this platform and should be able to help if you have issues.

The AWB compliant muzzle brake is not very effective. More of a blast disperser than a brake. There are US made flash hiders that will be legal and much more effective. The original "birdcage" flash hider is quite good, but you'd have to add another 'murica part to be legal.

I don't think I'll be running into any problems here in Texas with ad ons for my rifle. We pioneered the "silencer" here, and I've seen all kinda mods for the regular AR-15's.
Can I just screw off the stock flash hider and replace it with another one?
What if I use Rem Oil with Teflon? Maybe Silicone?
Any and all advice, and knowledge where to get accessories is very welcomed.

HawkeyeSATX a.k.a. Bryce

The problem comes when you replace the US made muzzle device with a foreign made one. Makes the ATF all butt hurt. There are tutorials online. I believe the Century one is pinned and loctite. Don't use silicon or Rem oil on any gun. Poor anti corrosion properties. Leaves a residue thats hard to remove. All my gun lubes come from automotive. Penetrating oil for small parts, moly grease for things that slide.

Polaris":zkdz98gb said:
The problem comes when you replace the US made muzzle device with a foreign made one. Makes the ATF all butt hurt. There are tutorials online. I believe the Century one is pinned and loctite. Don't use silicon or Rem oil on any gun. Poor anti corrosion properties. Leaves a residue thats hard to remove. All my gun lubes come from automotive. Penetrating oil for small parts, moly grease for things that slide.

That's all great stuff to know!
Thank you!

HawkeyeSATX a.k.a. Bryce

Back