Anyone reloading the 9.3x62mm Mauser?

dakotaelkslayer

Beginner
Dec 1, 2006
Just looking for some insight on reloading the 9.3x62mm. Got two boxes of 250gr. Accubonds and plan on working on developing a load for my new rifle this winter.

Thanks,

Jim

93x62-RL15-loads.jpg

93x62-barsness-handloader250.jpg

From a recent article about medium bore cartridges by John Barsness in the December-January 2008 #250 issue of Handloader magazine. The last column is the average group size in inches (accuracy is for three-shot groups at 100 yards). From the article: "An asterisk (*) denotes a “deer load,” somewhat reduced in velocity from maximum, and has a point of impact almost exactly the same as loads marked with two asterisks (**)."

My hunting load:
Chrono Date: 4/23/2005
Cartridge: 9.3x62
Rifle: CZ 550
Scope: Leupold VX-II 1-4x 20mm
Barrel Length: 23.6"
Bullet: 286 gr Woodleigh RN
Powder: 58.0 gr of RL-15
Case Make: Graf
Primer: WLR
C.O.L. 3.30"

Chrono Summary (10 shots - Chrony chronograph)
Average Velocity: 2,393 fps
Average Energy: 3,636 ft lb
High Velocity: 2,410 fps
Low Velocity: 2,372 fps
Extreme Spread: 38 fps
Standard Deviation: 12 fps

I predict that you are going to really like the 9.3x62!
thumbsup.gif

Cheers!
-Bob F.
beer2.gif

R-15 is a very popular powder for the 9.3x62, it produces top velocities and accuracy. I however prefer Ramshot BigGame. 65gr of Ramshot BigGame/286 Nosler Partitions in my CZ 550 American is hard to beat. 2450fps and accuracy in the .3's at 100. If you can find BigGame, give it a try.

As I'm sure you know, John Barsness really likes Big Game powder in the 9.3x62 with a 286 gr Nosler Partition. (See his load data above.) He's recommended Big Game powder for the 9.3x62 in several articles. I just haven't gotten around to trying it. It sounds like it is worth a try, though!

Cheers!
-Bob F.

My buddy had one. With accubonds and RL15 it was a 1 holer!

Thanks guys! Got a couple of questions... Loaddata.com has some 250gr. BT data; does this produce a similar pressure as Accubonds? Seat the Accubonds to the cannilure and crimp, or do the .0X off the lands?

Thanks,

Jim

Pretty much, however ...
RULE OF THUMB

when swapping something out on a load drop a few grains.....

Just noticed that Lapua offers a "long-range" 220gr. Naturalis bullet for the 9.3. Looks a lot like a Barnes... Wouldn't the higher pressure and lower B.C. counteract its lower weight in terms of longer distance shooting?

Jim

Back