Anyone use their 500 S&W to bag anything?

FOTIS

Range Officer
Staff member
Oct 30, 2004
I have had one for a couple of years but never used it. Love to hear a success story or two!

500.jpg

and the 700 gr Nasty at 1200 fps

getImage.jpg

Pop - my .500 looks like yours. I use 440 gr Cast Performance bullets loaded to about 1400 fps. Factory velocity with that bullet is 1600 fps... :shock: Have also shot the 350 gr Hornady factory ammo that is supposed to be going 1900 fps... It didn't seem that potent to me, but I didn't chronograph it.

What have I killed with it?

A lot of paper. A few steel targets (dented 'em up pretty good). And a Douglas Fir stump...

Never have taken it hunting. Thinking about putting a 2x Loopie scope on it and hunting with it - but never have done so. It's one heck of a hunk of stainless steel - and a lot of fun to shoot - but I don't know how practical it really is... I just had to have it though... :grin:

I tell you man, if I had known that I would sneak up on 8 elk at less than 40 yards then I would have carried this instead of my 7mm Mag. A lot easier on the carry than a rifle. :lol:

Yup! up until you shoot it one handed with that 700 gr slug at 1200 fps :shock:

Thanx though.

You gotta love the wrist-breakers! I remember when I was 10 & my dad let me shoot his Blackhawk in 44 Mag & at the end of the shot the revolver was over my head from the recoil. I'd imagine even though I'm a little over 20 years older & slightly bigger, your .500 S&W would probably have the same effect!

Actually it will push your hand back rather than snap the muzzle up! weird.

Almost makes me want to trade in my 629 Classic 44 Mag for a 500 S&W!
Awesome caliber Pop.

JD338

JD338":18exv49a said:
Almost makes me want to trade in my 629 Classic 44 Mag for a 500 S&W!
Awesome caliber Pop.

JD338

Whenever you get your buttocks out here you will shoot this Jim! You will probably sell the 44 or just plain give your 44 a bigger sister!
Lets put it this way. I use reduced loads in it. I use Unique and the Speer Gold Dot Bullets for 50 Action Express (500 Diameter) 300 Grain. I shoot these at 1200 fps and it is like shooting a 44 special in your Smith 44 mag. No kidding man! Fun.

Back