AO or Not AO

Powerstroke

Handloader
Feb 24, 2006
I'd like to hear the pros and cons of Leupy's Adjustable Objective ?

I'm looking at the VX-3 4.5 X 14 w/ B&C reticle. This scope comes both ways - All my current Leupys are AO's. Would I notice a difference without it ?
This would sit a-top either my .280 or .257Bee.

Thanks

PowerStroke,

I like an AO on my scope for sharp precise image in the scope. The side focus is really nice on the Mark 4 scopes.
Most non AO scopes are set for 150 yds and you probably wont notice anything out to 300 yds.

JD338

I may be crazy, but I have posted this here before. I would not own a scope of greater than 10 power without an AO of some sort, no matter who made it, period!!!!

Over 10 power the parrallax issue just becomes too much of a problem.
I had a couple of Vari-X III scopes that were 3.5 X 10 power with no AO, and they were great. But even with scopes of 12 power, I NEED an AO.

If you are thinking VX3 in 4.5 X 14, consider going with the 4.5 X 14 X 40 LR model. This is the 30mm version and has the side focus. I just put one on a new .257 Weatherby Magnum and really like this scope. I bought the model with the Boone and Crockett reticle, which I am much impressed with. ( I in fact, have five 4.5x14x40 LR scopes that are VX-III models, they all have the B&C reticle, so I knew I would like the new VX3)

I want an AO on all my scopes of 8 power or greater and I prefer the side focus ones when available. I like Leupy 4.5 x 14 scopes. I am always torn between the 40 or 50 mm objective though. I like the smaller size of the 40 but I also like the little added brightness the 50 offers.

The AO really comes into play when target shooting and tqrget shooting is about 70 to 85 % of my shooting. I hardly use it when hunting except when using the scope as a binocular.

I have seen this debate many times and there are a lot of people saying you don't need the A.O. or any type of parallax adjustment with scopes under 10 power. Some even say you don't need this feature on the 4.5x14 power range for hunting. My own experience is if you want to use the higher power ranges (over 10 power to me) for shooting precision you need it. The higher the power, the more parallax comes into play. I had a 3-12 power Burris that when adjusted for my vision was unusable at 100 yard targets when set over 6 power because of the parallax and no adjustment available. The reason I bought the 12 power was for more precision with my aging eyes! I ended up with the new VX3 4.5-14x40 Leupold with A.O., it is clear and I can adjust it for the exact yardage I'm shooting. I wouldn't be without the feature on higher power scopes. You can set the A.O. for 150 yards for hunting and wrap a piece of electrical tape tightly around it while you hunt so it doesn't get turned by accident, then use the tape to put the tag on the horns after the kill!

I guess that would beat having to use a shoe string but it would also defeat the purpose of having an a.o. unless you know you'll only shoot out to 150 or so. I like the side focus adjustment and use it when hunting. The more bothersome thing for me is switching between binocular to rangefinder and then getting the crosshairs on the animal while keeping track of where it is the whole time. The last long shot I made on a buck, I had to keep focused on a patch of snow and and a pine tree near where he was standing in some brush at 286 yards, in between all the different glass. After I tagged the buck I realized I made the shot only on 6x. My scope was 4.5-14 but I had to turn the power down to get the deer in my scope and the crosshair where i wanted and wasnt worried about what number the scope was on. It's doubtful I worried about paralax in that moment and truth be told, once I found him in the binoculars I didnt need to range it as the 7mm 160 Partition found it's mark none the less.

Thanks Gents !

I do what I've found most of the rest do it appears. I use the AO punching paper all the time. The lowest power scope I have is a 12X.
Very rarely will I ever get a shot during hunting season under 150yds. That 250 - 350 is generally the norm.

I'm really like the looks of that VX-3LR in the 4.5 X 14.

That's the scope I settled on and put on my 300 H&H. I absolutely love it! Clear, lightweight, mounts down nice and low and really precise tracking. I think you'd be well served with that choice of scopes.

I have two 4.5-14x40s. One with and the other (B&C) without.
I've shot them both out to 500 yds. For hunting only on big game the "non" shoots and sees ok but I would choose the A/O if you have the choice. It gives you a significant focus and paralax advantage. Kind of like " you can hit a deer at 400 yds with a 2X scope" but you can see and hit the exact spot you want on the deer with a 14x better. IMO
Greg

Back