Arbor Press

Rommel, do you load at the range? If so, how do you measure powder? I have a balance beam and a powder dispenser that I could build a platform for, but doesn't the wind mess with the balance beam?
Joel, No I haven't done it but you can use a battery powered electronic scale or a quality powder dispensers like the Harrel Culver measure or Redding.

DrMike":15uahy05 said:
The only apparent advantage the Arbor Press over the conventional press is it's portability. Arbor Press is popular with Benchrest shooters since they do most of their reloading at the range. You can only neck size in an Arbor Press and it kind of rather slow to use. It does not produced anymore accurate ammo than a conventional press either. The quality of the die has a lot to do with making accurate ammo, not the press.

Well said, Rommel. A most astute summary.
Thanks DrMike.

On another note, I use my Arbor Press when reloading for target ammo use in competition. Actually I only use it to seat the bullet and nothing else. I much prefer using Wilson Seater die over the Reddings, or the Fosters in a conventional press, in this most critical phase of reloading. In my experienced, Wilson seater die is more consistent and produces less runout.

So my next noobish questions is... How much of a difference is it at downrange?

I feel like using my Hornady press and dies I can already crank out ammo that is better than I am a shooter. The consistency.. are we talking about maybe overall group size, or greatly reducing the chance of one bad bullet seating throwing off an otherwise great group?

Possible chance to get a new shooting toy - check
Ridiculous duplicative investment - check
Chance to tweak minutia I'm probably not good enough to notice - check

Man.. this one is right up my alley! :) Now to head over to Bruno's and check out the dies...

Looks as if you've already made the decision. Most of my ammunition and rifles for which it is chambered performs beyond my ability. However, that has never stopped me from looking for slightly more precision. Incremental changes are cumulative, leading to better ammunition in the long run, if for no other reason than I am shooting more.

Looks like you boys are all spot on with your views, ... another way to spalsh the cash & hope you don't wobble just when loosing off the ammo put together with such attention to detail.
It looks like a great combination....the arbor press & wilson seating die.
I'd be like you folks and probably just use it for the seating process. :) Cheers, ET

AzDak42":1o7paos9 said:
Possible chance to get a new shooting toy - check
Ridiculous duplicative investment - check
Chance to tweak minutia I'm probably not good enough to notice - check

Man.. this one is right up my alley! :) Now to head over to Bruno's and check out the dies...

Quote of the year right here.

I would for sure be better served by purchasing wind flags and more 22lr ammo. But that's not as cool as an arbor press.

So an arbor press is not bolted down or held down in anyway? Looks like the video posted that the guy was fighting the press some, is that normal?

Corey

One could be bolted down or clamped down. I don't have the hopping around problems he was having. Mine just sits there, nice and flat, still and obedient. Mine is a well trained arbor press.

Suspect he may have been holding it, and himself, a bit awkwardly so that the camera could pick up what he was doing with the press, dies and brass.

AzDak42":1nz5u0tu said:
Does someone want to educate me on the benefits of an arbor press over a traditional? I've never seen one used or really read much. What's the driver for this versus a traditional press?

At one time Wilson made arbor press full length sizing die and this is the press you would use
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/122107 ... rbor-press

I can't recall what year they quit making them but it was from low demand.

I got using arbor dies in my BR days and we load at the range and I just extend that type reloading to all my rifles over time and that was in the late 70's into 80's. I like the advantage of adjusting neck tension and the Wilson neck die sizes less than half the neck also I like loading at the range and working up loads. You load at the range you see instant results from changing powder,primers,seating depth,neck tension. If something not working you don't have to pull bullets.

I don't have any pictures of my range set-up but here is one that looks like mine
http://riflemansjournal.blogspot.com/20 ... ading.html

What I do is just another way to reload is all.

As much as I don't need an arbor press I'm very tempted to get one now. Sinclair has a package deal for their press plus everything for one caliber that will come to $248 and some change. Not sure if that is a good deal or not. Anyone used their press?

Corey

I have the Sinclair press and I load using it for neck tension and seating. You may find you like neck sizing only but from my experience the brass tends to grow in terms of headspace with each firing leading to disparate headspace lengths from piece to piece which of course results in disparate velocities and loss of accuracy (this is from my experience). I have employed the use of a full length sizing die to mitigate for this deficiency without sizing the neck. From this step I neck size using a Wilson neck die (and appropriate bushing) then finalize with a Wilson seater. This achieves better TIR values than employing the use of a full length die with a bushing -- then seating. I know, I know, my process is an additional step but I have found it works. Perhaps my press is not as straight as it should be and this is the cause. I have tried backing the bushing off allowing it to "float" but this has not made it any better... I hear good things about the CO-ax press but I am not in the market at the moment....

C.Smith":3cqgfot1 said:
As much as I don't need an arbor press I'm very tempted to get one now. Sinclair has a package deal for their press plus everything for one caliber that will come to $248 and some change. Not sure if that is a good deal or not. Anyone used their press?

Corey

I ordered the 21st Century Shooting press because Sinclair's press was backordered. My experience with other Sinclair items is they are high quality, and I suspect the same of their arbor press. However, their website only says "Backordered", with no expected date of shipment.

Wow that changed over night. Last night when looking it was backordered. Must have gotten their shipment in cool. Thanks for the input guys.

Corey

Some years ago, I went looking for a sub 3" group at 600 yards from my .308 Win.

The arbor press and Wilson dies got me there, with room to spare.

There are other ways to reach that accuracy level, but the arbor press and Wilsons did it for me.

Guy Miner":3slbb2n3 said:
Some years ago, I went looking for a sub 3" group at 600 yards from my .308 Win.

The arbor press and Wilson dies got me there, with room to spare.

There are other ways to reach that accuracy level, but the arbor press and Wilsons did it for me.

You know Guy your are not helping keep my money and just use what I have :grin: I might have to sell something now.

Corey.

Back