Arctic Grizzly Hunt, more photos

Guy Miner

Master Loader
Apr 6, 2006
I still have to download from my compact camera, but these are some of the better photos of my trip from my cell phone and from my Olympus camera. I hope you enjoy:

I decided to drive up. That's a long way... About 2200 miles to Fairbanks from my home. The drive up and back was an event in itself, and as you folks are more interested in hunting than driving, I'll focus on the hunt - but I must say - my best wildlife photos were taken during the drive.

The Jeep. A Jeep or other 4wd is NOT necessary. I'd have been more comfortable in my wife's Ford Explorer. Or a Toyota Camry.

Specialized clothing, including heavy duty arctic boots is required... :wink:

Actually, those old, beat up Teva sandals were just for camp wear. Good boots are necessary.

Scenery along the way is incredible. I could post dozens of photos of snow-capped mountains, and gorgeous lakes, but you get the idea:

Moose shed:

Canadian Beavers:

Good looking black bear. We got along just fine:

Bison!

Caribou:

Eagle - I didn't see many of these on this trip. The rivers were flowing at flood stage with runoff and many of the lakes were still frozen, so fishing wasn't good yet:

Yukon Grizzly near lake Kluane. I had no Canadian bear tag, nor a Canadian guide, so he was off limits. Interestingly we'd been hiking the same shoreline on intersecting courses... I got to my Jeep before we bumped into each other.

Our camp in the arctic, well north of Fairbanks:

The sun never actually set while we were in the arctic:

We often hear of the "spot and stalk" hunt. Spotting is sitting or standing behind binoculars or a spotting scope for hours on end. This is part of a stalk:

Eventually my hunt came to a successful conclusion, at much shorter range than I anticipated:

Regards, Guy

Great photos, Guy! Beautiful country and some healthy looking animals. Thanks for posting.

Great photos. I think I recognize some of those critters. It was good to be able to visit with you, Guy.

Mike - many thanks to you and your wonderful wife for giving me a nice, comfortable place to spend the night and a couple of great meals. Am so fortunate to have been able to enhance my trip by staying a night at your place, and an earlier night at Gerry's place.

Guy

Great photos Guy. Saw Joey going by in his boat yesterday I tried to wave him over, but he just kept going.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Any time, Guy; any time. Love to meet your good lady should you bring her to visit the national parks. Obviously, you found your way out of the metropolis of Dawson Creek. I was yelling and waving my arms as you turned the wrong way at the end of the street. :shock: :grin:

Very nice! You should have stopped by on your drive through!

Ya, I should have stopped and seen you, and a few other folks. Time...

There was a wolf involved as well:

Several of them actually, but this is the only one that stayed around.

Guy

Great photos Guy :) Glad you were able to meet up with DrMike ( I have made that wrong turn myself leaving his house ;) )

I do enjoy seeing wolves. Will you be making a soft throw with the hide?

glad you made it home o.k. Guy and glad you had an enjoyable and successful hunt.

a couple people have asked----when home we are closer to Hodgeman than Dr Mke and you can not drive all the way here in the summer Dr Mike, approx 2800 Km--Hodgeman approx 1500 KM. It would have been a long haul for Guy to have come this far north from Dr Mike and return.

again congrats Guy, and I love that you used the 30-06.

Thank you.

Yes, the distances are vast.

We flew about 2.5 hours north of Fairbanks to our hunting area. No roads. Our pilot on the return trip told me about living "out there" and he pointed out his grandfather's cabin... No road within a hundred miles...

Big country, the Northland.

Guy

Amazing pics and great story. I've heard that the drive is necessary at least once in your life.

I can't help but imagine that this has to be your best hunt so far?

Good job Guy!

chs

I too have been enjoying the trip report! Thank you for sharing!

I too have been enjoying the trip report! Thank you for sharing!

Back