Arctic Grizzly

Europe":1rvxmzj6 said:
Fantastic Guy!!!!!!!!!!!

The 30-06 was a great choice, as was the Partition, but everyone here knows the rifle and bullet means nothing unless it is being used by a competent hunter. You did well, very well.

Guy, what were they quoting you to make a nice rug these days ?

My local taxidermist does a fine job on rugs, and is up to $1200 per bear rug, regardless of size.

I'm just getting my wolf and bear hides tanned to start with. May or may not rug either of them. I think the wolf hide, just tanned, is going to hang from a peg in the family room. The bear? Frankly I don't know. He's big, the house isn't. I'll figure it out. Heck of a problem to have...

Skulls will be on a shelf in my gun/loading/fly-tying room. Maybe even atop the gun safe.

Guy

Thanks Guy

It has certainly gone up in price, as has everything. The ones we did we did with the head and claws, if you decide to do yours into a rug will you leave the head and claws on ?

Cheyenne makes the cutest slippers out of bear hides with the claws still on. I think maybe Scotty's daughter got a pair of them.

Guy that was such a fantastic trip for you and with great success.

Noticed your caribou post/thought. I bet hodgeman would enjoy hunting them with you and he has one or two in his backyard

Europe":3qy3zfhb said:
Thanks Guy

It has certainly gone up in price, as has everything. The ones we did we did with the head and claws, if you decide to do yours into a rug will you leave the head and claws on ?

Cheyenne makes the cutest slippers out of bear hides with the claws still on. I think maybe Scotty's daughter got a pair of them.

Guy that was such a fantastic trip for you and with great success.

Noticed your caribou post/thought. I bet hodgeman would enjoy hunting them with you and he has one or two in his backyard

She loves them. Wears them all over. Kind of a house slipper/comfy shoe for her. I have a couple of tanned elk hides I was thinking about making into something.

We've got a couple of black bear rugs on the wall, with claws and heads attached. They look great, but take up a lot of wall space. Not sure where I'd put a rug from this fellow:

So, for now, the hide will be tanned, and the skull cleaned up. Will decide about the rug later. I'd like to have him rugged, but I don't know that I'll choose that option this time.

Regards, Guy

BTW, regarding the rifle. I was fine with my choice of the .30-06 Remington 700, but dang...

Kind of wish I'd gone ahead and brought the .375 Model 70 up there... It would have been perfect for the modest range shooting we ended up doing. And perhaps, just perhaps, the extra power from that first hit, through the leg and into the chest, would have sealed the deal faster. I'll never know.

Now I'm kind of wondering why I even have the .375 Model 70. If I didn't use it on my big bear hunt... Why do I want/need it? It's unlikely that I'll go to Africa, and apparently I'm quite happy hunting North America with the smaller caliber rifle.

I'll have to do some thinking about that.

Regards, Guy

Guy, you and your 06 had a spectacular year. Why don't you take the 375 out this year and replicate the season? It will make great reading.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Guy Miner":3ru3iq5o said:
BTW, regarding the rifle. I was fine with my choice of the .30-06 Remington 700, but dang...

Kind of wish I'd gone ahead and brought the .375 Model 70 up there... It would have been perfect for the modest range shooting we ended up doing. And perhaps, just perhaps, the extra power from that first hit, through the leg and into the chest, would have sealed the deal faster. I'll never know.

Now I'm kind of wondering why I even have the .375 Model 70. If I didn't use it on my big bear hunt... Why do I want/need it? It's unlikely that I'll go to Africa, and apparently I'm quite happy hunting North America with the smaller caliber rifle.

I'll have to do some thinking about that.

Regards, Guy

You have it because it's rifle "badassery"................... :lol:

Everyone should have a big thumper in a model 70! :>)

The more pictures I see of your Bear, all I can say is Dam that's a Very Nice Bear. Love the Pictures you have posted and written about your hunt. Thanks for Shareing Guy.

So today I spoke with Joe Klutsch, Master Guide. He is the father of Joey Klutsch, Guy's bear guide. I told Sr. How impressed Guy was with Joey. He was quite pleased.
He went on at some length describing Joey's opinion of Guy. As Earl pointed out Sr. Is the real deal. Joe Sr. concluded by saying guiding would be easy if more clients were like Guy.

Huge respect here for my guides, Lyle Becker and Joey Klutsch.

Knowledge. Ability. Fitness. Professionalism. And today, I look at them as friends.

Guy

Guy as I said in my earlier post, that is a beautiful bear, the coloring is perfect, one in a lifetime for sure. Since you posted I have wondered why the O6 and not the the 375? I know you shoot them both well, own both, and the 375 brings a lot more energy to the table, why did you choose to not go with it?

Elkman":2kpb1pps said:
Guy as I said in my earlier post, that is a beautiful bear, the coloring is perfect, one in a lifetime for sure. Since you posted I have wondered why the O6 and not the the 375? I know you shoot them both well, own both, and the 375 brings a lot more energy to the table, why did you choose to not go with it?

Good question. I like both rifles and shoot them fairly well. Bought the .375 for big/dangerous game. It seemed a natural choice to me.

But... Was on the phone with the guide/outfitter and was talking to him about rifle & ammo choices. He asked me a few questions that really got me thinking, and also provided some input.

"Which rifle is heavier?"
"Which rifle do you shoot better?"

And he assured me that the .30-06, with premium bullets, was more than adequate. Also to be prepared to shoot at 300 yards.

"Energy" was not as important to him, as a lighter weight rifle, that could be shot well. I shoot the .30-06 better, and it's a fair bit lighter than the .375 Model 70. How much lighter? I don't know, but enough to notice.

He also told me that if we'd been hunting the big coastal brown bear, or on Kodiak Island, he'd prefer I brought the .375 H&H. BTW, he shoots a Remington 700 in .375 H&H, using 260 grain Nosler Accubonds for his bear rifle. BATTERED Remington. I've got a photo of it somewhere...

So, it was an interesting decision making process, and in the end, I'm satisfied. But, I wouldn't have minded having the .375 along. Oh, it's a one-rifle kind of trip. Not much room in the small plane. I even had to leave my hard gun case in Fairbanks and put my rifle in a soft case.

BTW, the other hunter in camp, a great 70 year old gentleman, used his 7mm Rem mag and a single 140 grain Barnes TSX to take his grizzly. Nice shot!

Guy

Guy
I ran into Joey two or three days ago. Got the story straight from the horses mouth. "Biggest grizzly for that area he's ever seen".
He enjoyed the hunt with you quite a bit, he's hoping to talk you into coming out fishing with him.
You made quite an impression on him, well done.

salmonchaser":8m4nv7e7 said:
Guy
I ran into Joey two or three days ago. Got the story straight from the horses mouth. "Biggest grizzly for that area he's ever seen".
He enjoyed the hunt with you quite a bit, he's hoping to talk you into coming out fishing with him.
You made quite an impression on him, well done.

That's nice to hear. He's a good guy. Runs across the tundra faster than a caribou! :grin:

Going to be a while before I can fund a return to Alaska.

Guy

Back