Arctic Grizzly

Grizzlies do cause the earnest hunter to hyperventilate. I actually have the first grizzly I encountered on video. I never did get off a shot! I was breathing too hard, and the bear finally decided that he had waited long enough, so he wandered off into the bush. After many years, those darn bears still have that effect on me. You did tag a beauty, Guy.

Great story Guy. Sounds like a real good hunt with an awesome ending buddy. Cannot wait to see more pictures of the hunt and that is pretty darned cool the 30-06 got into grizzly bear. I was kinda wondering what you were doing monkeying around with the 200 Partitions a few months back and now it all comes together! :mrgreen: Congrats!

That's a hunt! I would suspect that it would take me days to digest a hunt like that. Guy is going to be on cloud 9 for some time and deservedly so.

Scotty, those 200's open up just fine on wolf too!

Thanks again all, for the warm wishes. I'm thinking a lot about the hunt as I head for home. Doing some "hunting" with my camera along the way. I'll try to share only a reasonable number of photos...

Guy

Guy just a thought but I think you need to get a really good quality photo album and put together the story of your adventure from starting your travels north, the journey to get there, the hunt, and then the trip back home. I know it's great to have all the pictures on video and disc, but to have something to hold and to show friends and family would be neat to have around. A video set to music would also be very cool to have for years down the road. If I was one of your boys I would have loved to have a copy of that of my father's adventure. Just a thought.

David

6mm Remington":2nx5nagg said:
Guy just a thought but I think you need to get a really good quality photo album and put together the story of your adventure from starting your travels north, the journey to get there, the hunt, and then the trip back home. I know it's great to have all the pictures on video and disc, but to have something to hold and to show friends and family would be neat to have around. A video set to music would also be very cool to have for years down the road. If I was one of your boys I would have loved to have a copy of that of my father's adventure. Just a thought.

David

That is a great idea David. I like that.

Guy Miner":2nx5nagg said:
Scotty, those 200's open up just fine on wolf too!

Guy

I didn't figure you'd have much trouble killing stuff.. Those Partitions tend to kill stuff pretty darned well.. :mrgreen:

Guy, I am thinking if you found it a tough hunt, I am not sure that I could do one at my age :wink:. I tell you though I would sure have to think long and hard about not going :mrgreen:.
Again congratulations and I am looking forward to as many photographs as you want to post as they will all have at least a little story to them.
Drive safe and savor the trip my friend (y).

Blessings,
Dan

I'll be danged Guy. Joey lives a 1/2 mile up the river from me. He is highly regarded as a hunter. His dad is in The Who's who book of Alaska guides. Joey has probably been on more successful hunts then you can count.
Congratulations on a fine bear and in regard to the brown bear comparison. A 10 footer is as rare as a 30 inch mile deer or a 360 bull elk. An 8.5 foot interior bear is a hell of a trophy.
When I see joey I'll let him know again how pleased you were.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So Happy for you Guy! Can't wait t here the full story with picts. Congrats on an amazing bear!

Scott

Looking forward to seeing more photos from your trip, congrats again on a hint of a lifetime.

Don't know anything about bear.....but that critter looks Big and impressive and "Alaskan". Your smile says a lot too... :) Congrats! CL

Guy
Congratulations on that beautiful grizzly and on the wolf too.

JD338

Some points of interest for some of you that may not have hunted Grizzly before. Many hunts for " brown bears" are conducted near the coastal areas in Alaska, however the term " Grizzly" used to be applyed to any brown bear that was killed "100 miles from the coast" so at 99 miles it was a brown bear and at 100 miles it was a grizzly.........
The very nature of the proximity to the coast, and of that area in general, is certain to mean "bad weather" during ones trip. The bears because of their access to Salmon are generally slightly larger, than those killed further inland. However; some points of interest are: Since interior Grizzlys are "in the hole" longer and its much cooler where they live, They generally are going to have Longer guard hairs, and denser under fur, than a bear shot out near the coast.
I have found, that because the ground is dryer and harder, in the mountains, and because of alot of diging, their claws may grow faster, hence spring bears from the interior seam to have extreamely long claws compared to coastal bears, when they first come out in the Spring. ALOT of the bears we used to kill on the Pennisula, and Dillingham/Iliamna area were always rubbed thin "somewhere", and very few ever had the quality of the hide on Guys bear.
And last but not least, the weather which quite honestly can Have a HUGE effect; on your hunt overall, is usually 10X better in the Brooks Range than it would normally be anywhere in SE or SW ALASKA.
So overall your going to get a "better fured," longer clawed" bear, and certainly enjoy much "dryer weather" up in the Brooks Range than about anywhere else in the state. The fact that Guy was fortunate enough to hunt with "real Alaskans" like the Klutsch family member, would be a big plus, as those folks are the " real deal" And would bring alot to the table, on ANY hunt in Alaska.
Well researched,well exacuted, well done Mr.Miner; on a very sucessful adventure! (y)

Fantastic Guy!!!!!!!!!!!

The 30-06 was a great choice, as was the Partition, but everyone here knows the rifle and bullet means nothing unless it is being used by a competent hunter. You did well, very well.

Guy, what were they quoting you to make a nice rug these days ?

Congrats Guy !
Looks like quite a hunt and a beautiful bear.
30-06 huh ? Been working for over 100 years . If it ain't broke don't fix it !

Looking forward to the pics.

Howard

HTDUCK":1wnwguq6 said:
Congrats Guy !
Looks like quite a hunt and a beautiful bear.
30-06 huh ? Been working for over 100 years . If it ain't broke don't fix it !

Looking forward to the pics.

Howard

Thanks! Howard, there's quite a few photos already posted: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=35560

Guy

Back