At Last

Dang Mike that's Nice!!! Really like the choice of color on the metal. Might have to change the color on the 338-06. Can't wait to see how it shoots.

The colour did turn out nicely. I like it immensely. I opted for a flat black on my previous rifle, for a more traditional look. The 358 Norma is on the left.

Of course, I do like that more traditional look, but this particular look does appeal to me.

That's a cool cartridge Mike. What size is the case head? Will a standard magnum bolt face work for it?

I will get me an 8mm of some sort in good time. It's one of the ones I've always liked.

Scotty, I used a 30-06 action for this build. I'm not at the bench right now, but QL shows a .512 case head. The boys slicked this up quite nicely and it feeds beautifully. Yeah, I'm certain I'll manage to get out to the range this coming week. I have quite a few rifles needing to have the trigger pulled.

So they just opened up the bolt face a little for the 8x68... Probably used a 3.6" mag box as well Mike?

Seems fairly straight forward. I'm looking forward to seeing your initial load work. Seems like most of those 8mms are generally pretty accurate.

SJB358":13nlew0x said:
So they just opened up the bolt face a little for the 8x68... Probably used a 3.6" mag box as well Mike?

Seems fairly straight forward. I'm looking forward to seeing your initial load work. Seems like most of those 8mms are generally pretty accurate.

You got it. This particular stock was exceptionally light despite being pillar bedded. It made it easier to opt for a 26 inch pipe. I have quite a bit of work to do, but this will be right in there, Scotty.

That 196 grain Oryx sounds like it could be "the" bullet for this round. Only seems right to use a European bullet in a European round :)

I've owned two different 8mm Rem Mag rifles (both Remington 700s) over the years and like a fool I ended up selling both of them. They were real hammers on deer and elk alike. I preferred the 200 Partition and 220 Sierra bullets in those. They performed well at those velocities.

I really do like the looks of that Springfield in .358 Norma! Have you taken a grizz with that rifle?

Dale

Scottie:

Here you go

Doc did you ceracoate it? or what? Almost had me an 8mm RUM built last year. Lack of high BC bullets stopped me...... though choices are indeed getting better! :)

Attachments

• 8x68.jpg
    8x68.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 1,567
and English system

Attachments

• 8x68mmS3.gif
    8x68mmS3.gif
    4 KB · Views: 1,567
Fotis, the metal is Ceracoated in burnt bronze colour. I've recently been Ceracoating my rifles after Teflon treating rifles for many years.

Is the 71gr usable case cap? because I would think the H2O cap would be higher for a case that size.

Maximum case capacity overflow (from QL) is 86 grains of water.

Nice gun DrMike, it will no doubt be shooting bug holes soon. Love the walnut together with the color of the metalwork.

Gerry,

The rifle came out looking beautiful. I must say I am pleased. I trust I can get some decent loads for it. Really, for accuracy, I probably should have a shorter barrel, but it is easier to lop off a couple of inches than to stretch the barrel.

...looks like a 'prime candidate' to try out some of those 250gr. Woodleighs for a moose/ bear/ pdawg load, Dr. Mike... :twisted: :roll: :lol: :mrgreen:

Good suggestion, Gene. I intend to squeeze out time today to work up some loads. Now, to find some time to haul everything out to the range. I'm wanting to try out the LabRadar for velocity determinations, in any case.

Back