Australian - Lithgow - 303 Lee Enfield No1 Mk3 1919 ShtLE

MattC":1hwnkpcl said:
Bullet,

That is indeed a fine looking example. If the verdict is that it is worth too much too use, then perhaps looking for another example in good but not necessarily original condition might be an option. At least in my part of the world later models are common and inexpensive.

Cheers

I am a fan of the Australian Military and especially between 1900 and 1919. Some of the finest fighting men and solders in the world with independent spirit and lots of grit. The Aussie soldier would individualize his uniform. In fact I have a battle dress replica uniform that fits me which represents the Aussie infantry form 1908-1919. The Aussies had a lot of common since in making the uniform baggy, not being a restrictive uniform so as to be more effective in the field and battle.

On top of all of that I love the Lee Enfield action, it is really cool. Since I will not be selling this rifle because a friend's family gave me this rifle I really don't care how much it is worth. A rifle like this was made to used and shot. I want to drop some game with this rifle. I want to load for it, shoot it and hunt with it. I know it is what Sonny would have me do. He really loved to here of my hunting trips and adventures I had taking game.

I think the No 1 Mk III was the coolest looking icon of military rifles and the Aussie No 1 Mk III from Ligthgow was the finest No 1 Mk III ever made.

PS - I think the .303 round is a great round no matter what others have said, because it is moving a 174 or 180 grain a the perfect velocity (between 2000 and 2500fps) for bullet and performance and game taking ability form 0 to 300yds.

russ808":1464rwa2 said:
Well I guess its settled then. Shoot'em.

Yes, I am going to shoot it. I was reminded today by his son how Sonny really liked to here my hunting stories and adventures and how much he new I enjoyed shooting, hunting and load development. After talking to his son Tal I have decided to shoot it. I can never sell it because it was given to me as a special gift so it does not mater about the dollar value. So I am going to have fun with it. :grin:

Do not underestimate the 303 British. I read somewhere that there are more games taken by the 303 than any cartridge in history.

My first hunts here in Canada were with a Lee Enfield MkIV .303. It worked well then, and the cartridge still works well so long as the one carrying it is a hunter.

I read somewhere that there are more games taken by the 303 than any cartridge in history.

DF, there may have been more game wounded with the 303 than any cartridge in history as well. It seems that I have met a lot a optimistic shooters. Nevertheless, at reasonable ranges it is a fine cartridge.

DrMike":34zd5km1 said:
My first hunts here in Canada were with a Lee Enfield MkIV .303. It worked well then, and the cartridge still works well so long as the one carrying it is a hunter.

I read somewhere that there are more games taken by the 303 than any cartridge in history.

DF, there may have been more game wounded with the 303 than any cartridge in history as well. It seems that I have met a lot a optimistic shooters. Nevertheless, at reasonable ranges it is a fine cartridge.

The wounded animals by the 303 was for the same reason many animals were wounded by the 06. Using military surplus to hunt with and wrong bullets for the job.

There was a saying about the rifles used in WW1. The Germans went to War with a hunting rifle, the Americans with a target rifle and the British with a fighting rifle.

The Aussies had a unique way to use their "Smellys" No. 1 Mk III's when advancing across the battlefield. They would hold the rifle at the hip, operate the bolt with the thumb and index finger and pull the trigger with a slap from the middle finger. They could advance across no man's land and keep the enemy's heads down in their trenches. When the Germans first experienced an Aussie advance, they swore all of them were armed with machine guns.

The wounded animals by the 303 was for the same reason many animals were wounded by the 06. Using military surplus to hunt with and wrong bullets for the job.

Precisely my point, Bullet, with the caveat that too many people try to push the bullets to perform in ways it was never designed to perform.

They could advance across no man's land and keep the enemy's heads down in their trenches. When the Germans first experienced an Aussie advance, they swore all of them were armed with machine guns.

There is no question but that an individual can operate the bolt on an Enfield amazing quickly. With a minimum of training, it allows for rapid follow-up shots.

bullet":3j08nnm6 said:
I am a fan of the Australian Military and especially between 1900 and 1919. Some of the finest fighting men and solders in the world with independent spirit and lots of grit. The Aussie soldier would individualize his uniform. In fact I have a battle dress replica uniform that fits me which represents the Aussie infantry form 1908-1919. The Aussies had a lot of common since in making the uniform baggy, not being a restrictive uniform so as to be more effective in the field and battle.

Larakanism was probably their greatest claim to fame and contempt for incompetence...
Generally considered an undisciplined lot, they were one of the few soldiers to not cop too much from their officers. The British (and later, others) had a habit of using them as cannon fodder and scape goats for their own incompetence. There have been a few times in history that Aussie soldiers have disobeyed en masse the eyes right order during parades.

On top of all of that I love the Lee Enfield action, it is really cool. Since I will not be selling this rifle because a friend's family gave me this rifle I really don't care how much it is worth. A rifle like this was made to used and shot. I want to drop some game with this rifle. I want to load for it, shoot it and hunt with it. I know it is what Sonny would have me do. He really loved to here of my hunting trips and adventures I had taking game.

Fair enough... There is an Enfield collector up the road who has (IIRC) a Lithgow No.1 in original & pristine condition that was amongst the first produced and also a No.6 Mk1 (the short run Lithgow "Jungle Carbine") that his grandfather passed to him. These rifles are still used, but he restricts his activities to maybe 10 rounds or so each year in the interests of preserving a piece of history and uses one of a couple of dozen other Enfields the rest of the time - a couple of which have been worked into the most unlikely looking (fully wooded) tack drivers. In hindsight (to my previous comments), using those rifles some probably helps their preservation.
Monetary value usually reflects historical value and preserving a piece of history was what (although I wasn't clear) I was getting at.

Cheers

bullet

Condolences on losing a friend. We seem to lose more as time goes on.
The rifle reminds me of a country western song. It seems a young private died in Viet Nam and his mom finally sold his old Chevy in the barn. It was a brand new Corvette the private had just bought in 1967 or so. You have a treasure for sure and a lasting memory of your friend from your friend.
Enjoy it in his honor. He wanted it to be so.
Greg

MattC, I understood what you were getting at. Hey, there is a lot more to the Aussie soldier that most realize. Might not be a large army but when it fights it gives a good account of itself.

Greg Nolan":23ikxelt said:
bullet

Condolences on losing a friend. We seem to lose more as time goes on.
The rifle reminds me of a country western song. It seems a young private died in Viet Nam and his mom finally sold his old Chevy in the barn. It was a brand new Corvette the private had just bought in 1967 or so. You have a treasure for sure and a lasting memory of your friend from your friend.
Enjoy it in his honor. He wanted it to be so.
Greg

Thank you Greg for the thoughts and encouragement, very thoughtful of you.

Back