AZ draw results!

BP736

Beginner
Oct 7, 2008
The draw results for Arizona were released this week for elk and antelope. I was lucky enough to draw a rifle tag for both. You boys in WY would never understand, but antelope tags are hard to come by in this state. There are only about 350 tags for the whole state. Most units have about 1-2% draw success. This is actually my 3rd in 5 years. The odds of that are crazy!! Most rifle bull units have 10-15% draw success. It's gonna be a good fall!
BP

Congratulations on your success. I'm sure that we will each enjoy seeing some pictures after your hunt. The best of success in your hunt this fall.

BP736

Congratulations on your AZ draws! With your success against the odds, you should go buy some lottery tickets. :lol:

What units are you hunting and what rifle/loads are you going to use?

JD338

BP, congrats on your draw. I hope you score a big AZ bull. I know they have some really big elk there.

2nd JD statement, what rifle/loads you planning on using. Scotty

My antelope tag is in 5B, about 20-30 miles east of Flagstaff (north, central AZ). It is an excellent unit for quality antelope. It's a pretty big unit with only 17 tags. I live in Flagstaff, so scouting will be convienient. I have been slowly working on building a 280 AI (which means that I bought the donor rifle and a box of Nosler 280 AI brass). It will be built on a stainless 700 action with a 26" shilen barrel. I hope to finish it in the next few months and use it for antelope. If it's not ready, I'll probably use my Ruger No. 1 280 Rem. with 140 Accubonds. My elk tag is in 6A, immediately south of Flagstaff. It's in October and only 125 tags. Pretty good potential for big bulls. I have a model 70 300 Weatherby that I have hunted deer and antelope with for a lot of years. My plan is to load it with a 200 grain Partition or AccuBond and use it for elk season. I have a 338 Win. that has been my go-to rifle for elk, bears etc., but I'm in the mood for something different this year. I think the 300 WBY will shine with a 200 grain PT or AB at 3000 fps+.
BP

It certainly sounds as if you are well set on rifles and even for the loads. I must say that the .280 is a favourite cartridge for me, and I know that others here use the cartridge quite a bit. You should do well on these hunts.

Congratulations you are a lucky guy. I was in Flagstaff last winter while touring and could see the geat country around there. Kept looking for one of those "big" Arizona elk while I was there.
Your weather-bee is in my mind the best elk cartridge available today. Along with the "Partition" you have the best of the best. good luck on your hunt. !!!!!!!!!!! :grin:

BP736, CONGRATS MAN!!! And I mean it too. You’ll have to keep us posted and let us know about both of the hunts. You are right about lucky!!! Man, I struck out swinging. At least I’m up to 7 Bonus Points for Elk and 2 for Antelope.

Deer etc. are approaching quickly, I only put in for “the Bab” so I’ll probably strike out again.

Flagstaff is beautiful, is Granny’s Closet still around? Best wings I ever had. Followed up by some fine Beaver Street Brewery IPA. What a town…
Good luck,

Back