Back from Cerakote

hunter24605

Handloader
Apr 30, 2016
Picked up this Savage 6mm ARC a while back and it was a decent shooter out of the box, but I wanted to play with some mods. First was replace the factory plastic stock with a heavier Magpul Hunter stock with aluminum pillars. It uses AICS mags, and doesn't come with one. They're great mags, but $80 is steep for a tin magazine!! I really like the fit, feel and balance of the stock. Bore was rough as a cob, so a series of Tubbs bullets followed by treating it with Dyna-Tek bore coat. Now you can remove fouling by talking mean to it 😉. I did the DIY trigger upgrade by replacing the factory spring with an adjustable over travel screw that I made by machining some threads off a 10-24 Allen screw and added a 582 compression spring that I very gradually cut shorter until I got what I wanted without any slam-fires or anything, and man alive that is a sweet 1.5 lb trigger now, could go lower, but I’m happy there. Also got some trigger shims from Mr. Shively. And a Desh bolt lift kit. Then dropped at a local coating shop for Cerakote. Hoping to get my Frankin-Savage to the range soon and see what it’s capable of. It’s topped with an ATN IR scope and a Supernova illuminator. For coyotes at night.

Attachments

• IMG_1114.jpeg
    IMG_1114.jpeg
    360.1 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_1103.jpeg
    IMG_1103.jpeg
    459.3 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_1108.jpeg
    IMG_1108.jpeg
    396.1 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_1102.jpeg
    IMG_1102.jpeg
    431 KB · Views: 36
Last edited:
Side note on the over travel screw, I had to remove some material from the head of the screw as well because it rubbed inside the stock. Looking back cutting the head off and cutting a groove for a screwdriver would have been better.

Finally got to the range with the Frankensavage. 108 ELD-m and Leverevolution. I’m happy with the results. In the interest of full disclosure, the group was shot off a lead sled.
IMG_1144.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_1145.jpeg
    IMG_1145.jpeg
    337.4 KB · Views: 24
Last edited:
Sweet set up, I hope you guys can put a hurt on those coyotes, I have a love/hate relationship with those heartless devils! :) How did your Ceracote turn out?

Back