Back to the Big Marlin II

Joec7651":vz4qtzu2 said:
Beautiful rifle. I love my 1895 in 45-70. Great buy!
Thank you!
Your's was a Great buy as well!
I have another buddy who loves his Marlin big lever guide gun in .45-70.
They're all awesome rifles!

Sent from my moto e5 play using Tapatalk

I use H4198 exclusively. It gives the highest velocities and the most consistency of any powder I’ve tried in a big straight walled case, across all bullet weights. Just a recommendation. All rifles have their own personalities.

Joec7651":2goy7zqw said:
I use H4198 exclusively. It gives the highest velocities and the most consistency of any powder I’ve tried in a big straight walled case, across all bullet weights. Just a recommendation. All rifles have their own personalities.
I'm betting you're right.
I got a pound of H4198 because of a recommendation from a buddy, but a lot of other guys on here have had great success with it as well.

HAWKEYESATX":3vkq67zd said:
Joec7651":3vkq67zd said:
I got a pound of H4198 because of a recommendation from a buddy, but a lot of other guys on here have had great success with it as well.

It’s hard to go wrong with a dozen of them. It’s almost 308 like in accuracy, you could almost stuff horse manure in it, under a small rock and they seem to shoot pretty well.

SJB358":1u57v98l said:
HAWKEYESATX":1u57v98l said:
Joec7651":1u57v98l said:

It’s hard to go wrong with a dozen of them. It’s almost 308 like in accuracy, you could almost stuff horse manure in it, under a small rock and they seem to shoot pretty well.
Yes, I fully agree with you there.
I've seen amazing groups from the gentleman here on the forum that have used H4198, and if I remember correctly, Layne Simpson touted H4198 as well, and saw some of his groups in national publications, too.
Can't beat a proven winner, now can you?
I'm just enthralled with how much energy the big .444 can muster up, along with the .45-70! They're simply outstanding!

I inherited a couple of Marlins from my Dad. One was a 25-20 and I was always glad the other was a 444. Hope all your fun with it goes well. Looking forward to some more pics.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Alderman":1hdy7bnc said:
I inherited a couple of Marlins from my Dad. One was a 25-20 and I was always glad the other was a 444. Hope all your fun with it goes well. Looking forward to some more pics.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Congratulations on inheriting your 2 Marlins!
Yes, I'm quite stoked about working up loads in her. I think it will be quite fun.
When I get the time, I will definitely make a range report, and have more pics for y'all!

Very nice!

I do enjoy owning, loading for, shooting and hunting with Marlin rifles. The 444 may well be the best of the big bore Marlins.

(y)

Guy Miner":3414x7bc said:
Very nice!

I do enjoy owning, loading for, shooting and hunting with Marlin rifles. The 444 may well be the best of the big bore Marlins.

(y)
Guy,

About how fast are your hand loaded 350 gr .458 RN bullets coming out at the muzzle?
Thank you Guy, I don't think there's much difference between the .45-70, or the .444 when loaded in the Big Marlin 1895's.
The .444 just might be a hair flatter shooting, and that's about it.
I like your 1895 .45-70, she's a gorgeous rifle too.

Back