Back to the old job

hunter24605

Handloader
Apr 30, 2016
Phew! for 21 years I worked for a company that rebuilt/sold large industrial electric motors up to 5,000 hp. I took care of all the mining and industrial customers up here. Corporate brought in a bean counter that decided to phase out the customers up this way and my job was cut. I could have stayed on, but would have required moving to Charlotte where the shop is located. I had my own truck for a while, that my nephew drove for me, but I didn't want to shut him out of a job, so sold it to him to take over, and I went to FedEx. Good job, decent pay, but definately a young man's game being at a dead sprint all day. Then out of the blue, my old boss called and said they ran off the bean counter when the revenue losses from his decisions got corporate's attention, and they decided to revive the business up here and even putting in a warehouse to store motors in so they'll be closer/faster delivery to the customers. Now I'm back with a mon-fri 7:30-4:00 and my vacation back. Missed deer camp last year for the first time in 20 years, so I'm REALLY looking forward to a week with the guys, this year...Plus I'm getting back to the customers I became good friends with over the last 20 years.

Good to hear that you got the old job back that you enjoyed doing and your vacation as well. While you are working and unable to hunt off those game tags, I'll be glad to take them off your hands. ;)

Joking of course. 😂

Hopefully this time around your company appreciates a good worker over profits.
I’ve been with the same employer for over 22yrs and a lot has changed. When I started it was ran by 2 brothers that went into business in the forties. Today we are controlled by accountants counting every “bean” we have.

That's a real example of how your dedication and resilience paid off. I am excited about your balance of regular hours, missed vacations, and reconnecting with old pals. Speaking of jobs, what are the best side jobs you guys know? I wanna start a side hustle as I'm preparing for my wedding, and I need some extra money. Please share your recommendations! Thanks!

Last edited:
Back