Backpacker SBR

widgeon

Handloader
Feb 19, 2011
I happened to see an add for Grizzly custom guns in a magazine and just checked out their site.
They do some really cool modifications to Marlin lever guns, among others.
I am a fan of short, fat rifles, but this seems a bit much, or not quite enough as it may be. Although kind of cool and definitely fits the description. http://www.grizzlycustom.com/custom_lev ... ckage.html

It doesn't do much for me, but I can see where it might appeal to a select segment of the population.

Looks like fine craftsmanship, but as Col. Cooper liked to say, "A solution in search of a problem".

"An excellent choice for whatever is chasing you through the brush...."

I think I'd prefer an 11 inch barreled Remington 870 shooting 1 oz slugs.
YMMV

Howard

For sure, the latter has more appeal than the former. The price could put an individual off. :shock: I don't doubt that the labour involved and the craftsmanship merits that particular price; it is just that for that sort of money, I can think of other rifles that are more attractive to me.

Hard to beat the Guide Rifle in a 45-70 for a serious thumper in a small package!

I'd have to say, for $1800 on my supplied rifle I can think of much better toys that actually would get used a bunch. A 340Wby Accumark with stunning glass and handloading supplies would be about that price...

Way out of my price range for sure. That second link I posted is of a much more attractive and practical set up. But, if I recall, the price was well over $5,000. :shock:

I have a Marlin '94 in .44mag. and I can see where some tuning could make it a bit smoother, but I've never had any problems with it.

SJB358":2o6g9qqy said:
Hard to beat the Guide Rifle in a 45-70 for a serious thumper in a small package!

Yeah, but if you get the barrel cut down to 11", you can get a holster made and carry it on your hip.
:lol:

widgeon":vnkhoym6 said:
SJB358":vnkhoym6 said:

Yeah, but if you get the barrel cut down to 11", you can get a holster made and carry it on your hip.

I would not be anywhere near a 11" 45-70 buddy! 18" is about as short as I want a barrel on that rifle. With full house 425's coming out at nearly 2000 you really know something happened!

I dunno, Gunny. I almost bought a 12" Contender in .45-70...

Maybe it was 14".

Of course, I was in my early 20s, and clearly indestructible. Crap, was that really 20 years ago?

BK":3k3mgzaw said:
I dunno, Gunny. I almost bought a 12" Contender in .45-70...

Maybe it was 14".

Of course, I was in my early 20s, and clearly indestructible. Crap, was that really 20 years ago?

It would be a whole nother animal with loads tailored for the pistol. It is a cream puff with 300's at 1600... While it turns into a beast with the heavier bullets pushing close to the 2's... I really do like the 45-70 alot. Once you carry one and shuck some of them big old cases into the tube and rack the go handle, you know you have something that could handle alot of problems!

I actually cannot wait to give it a go this year with the 45-70 again. I have struck out while carrying it the last few...

widgeon":14nqrp4s said:
SJB358":14nqrp4s said:

Pretty cool looking stuff, but a 11" barreled rifle of that sort wouldn't holster or carry for a darn I'm thinking. Knowing the statement was somewhat in jest of course.
That buttstock would be all over the place while walking. Be alright in a back scabbard however I believe. I would much rather have a revolver in a 45-70 otherwise.
I will agree however, the 45-70 in the GG is a thumper, and it don't have to be driven to the max to make it that way. And as mentioned the 12 ga. slug is as well, but I put more faith in a 1 oz bullet from a 45-70, as it will have far better penetration at nearly any velocity.

Dang,,,, been meaning to call you back Scotty,,,,to see how those cast are working for you.

onesonek":18ymcyny said:
Dang,,,, been meaning to call you back Scotty,,,,to see how those cast are working for you.

No worries buddy! Your bullets shoot REALLY well. I love them.. Gotta contract you out for some more for hunting. I was pretty happy considering I was shooting through a Ghost Ring..

D07EF9EF.jpg

I hope your feeling better! It is good to see you around here some more. I am currently out of phone range, but feel free to hit me up anytime on here or email.

FYI, those are Dave's bullets he casted up for me and they are AWESOME! Accurate and very perfect in their design. I will be shooting more of them.

Dave, I passed some of the 470's to Brian in order to try in his 45-70 as I will be gone for the Summer. Hopefully he has some fun working up some loads with em. I can't say enough good about them. Driven to 1600, they shoot excellent with RL7!

Cool Scotty, glad they are shooting well for you. RL7 does seem to work well with cast,,,most generally. And 15-1600 fps works for me well enough. Those 405's will shoot lengthwise through a deer or black bear I'm sure,,,,not so certain they would do that on an elk, but wouldn't be suprised if they did. Need to find out, hopefully next fall. But I can always move up in weight if need be, and still be in that 15-1600 fps range where I want to be. And in which case, I might just go the 425's, of which I'm not sure I had on hand to send you.

Those 405's would be pretty awesome on about anything I believe. If I wanted to pump them up a little, a few extra grains of RL7 would get them into the 1800 FPS range and still be pretty decent to shoot as well.. I like them 425's alot. Seems like the ideal weight for the 45-70 and cast bullets.

I hear ya Scotty!,,,if I was to be with only one weight for the 45-70 in cast, the 405's would get the nod.
I will say however, if I were to push that 1800 fps range much, I would likely go to a slower powder, to reduce pressure back to where one is roughly with the RL7. Not only would it be a tad easier on the gun, but it seems your rifle likes that load =( pressure level).

Back