Bacon-wrapped backstrap off the grill

G

Well, for Valentine's Day, my wife said we could go out, pick something up, or cook at home. I asked the kids what they'd want for dinner, and got a spontaneous, unison yell of "DEER MEAT!!!!" so I thawed some backstraps and a pack of bacon I had in the freezer. I did something a little different this time, and while they were good, I think from a mechanics standpoint, I'll shift back to dry rub instead of the liquid marinade I rubbed them with this time. It was messy and hard to get them wrapped and tied for the grill. Here's what they looked like prior to heading out back for the flames:

_IGP3092_zps684344cb.jpg

And here's what they looked like after an appropriate amount of time over the fire:

_IGP3097_zps0d37eeaf.jpg

The kids cleaned their plates and asked for seconds, and we have only about one serving left from these two (representing one whole side of backstrap from a single deer). The five of us can sure consume some Venison! Love that my kids are tuned in and would rather eat this than almost anything else.

Oh, yeah, that looks like something that would get in your mouth. Sounds like a great idea, dubyam. I may have to fire the grill tonight!

Back