bad powder

TackDriver284

Handloader
Feb 13, 2016
I pulled out my 6 BR brass and Fed205's and seated primers and grabbed some Benchmark and AA2015 powders to start loading up some batches while my NXS is on the way. I opened up the AA2015 and looked inside and the powder looked reddish so I squeezed the plastic canister and red vapor came out of it and I never seen anything like this. I sprinkled some powder on a white sheet of paper and it looks normal. Is it some chemical reaction since this powder has been sitting for about 18 to 20 years on the shelf. I just tossed the powder as lawn fertilizer, just not worth the risk.

I have some Benchmark, RL-15, W748 and Varget for it. What powders have you guys had great results with? It's been 18 years since I used the 6BR with 68 grain Bergers. It has the slow twist.

TackDriver284":83xn83hs said:
I pulled out my 6 BR brass and Fed205's and seated primers and grabbed some Benchmark and AA2015 powders to start loading up some batches while my NXS is on the way. I opened up the AA2015 and looked inside and the powder looked reddish so I squeezed the plastic canister and red vapor came out of it and I never seen anything like this. I sprinkled some powder on a white sheet of paper and it looks normal. Is it some chemical reaction since this powder has been sitting for about 18 to 20 years on the shelf. I just tossed the powder as lawn fertilizer, just not worth the risk.

You are observing oxidation. Good move to toss the powder. It will still be a good fertilizer.

Mark, no idea on the 6BR at all.

I have yet to see bad powder but I know it’s coming.

Back