Ballistic Tip penetration & experience

I wanted to see how they penetrated each other. Well after the first shot, the box split open and all my papers fell out.
4h8twg5.jpg
[/quote]

I stack all the newspapers about 3 feet high and tied lengthwise and crosswise with lumber string from Home Depot and let it sit in bathtub or 55 gallon drum. Make several bundles and let soak overnight and the next day, it has expanded but secured well from the string and put two 3 foot stacks together inline and shoot. Stays together until you cut the strings to inspect. Hope it helps.

dagored154":pgic3tcp said:
Which would you pick. 300 Win Mag 180 gr
Bt's or partitions?

Depends on what you are hunting and what kind of distance you will be shooting. The 180 gr AB could also be a canidate.

JD338

dagored154,

You should consider the 200 gr AB in your 300 Win Mag, this would be a real hammer for elk up close or at 400 yds. The 200 gr AB will take out the vitals from most any angle.

JD338

dagoerd154,

300 Win Mag
200 gr AB
Federal GM215M primer

Suggested powders-
RL22 72.5 gr
IMR 4831 70.5 gr
IMR 7828 74.0 gr

These are MAX loads so work up carefully.

JD338

thanks. i will try that over the next year. I've decided its too close to elk season now. we are packing our gear in the truck in 6 days.

Just my .02 worth. I shot the ballistics for there accuracy. In my 250 Savage the 100 grnrs should go around 2880 at the muzzle according to the reloading mannual. On my recent pronghorn hunt I took my goat with a slightly quartering shot to the near shoulder. Near as I can tell the bullet render the front shoulder usless and continued on through the antelope taking out the lungs before exiting. He didnt/couldnt run but it took a couple minutes for him to bleed out and expire. Hole on the exit side was at least an inch across. Range was 264 yards. CL

CL,

Perfect performance with the 100 gr BT.
Congratulations again on a very nice goat.

JD338

Thanks again- It was certainly better than I expected. as far as the bullet performance goes I wish I'd have hit him a little more square in the lungs. I expected him to expire a little quicker. Perhaps that would have made him a runner and taken longer yet. I guess I fall victim to the promotional stuff and the adds and expect lightning strike kills every time. It rarely happens, in my experience anyway.

Ballistic tips are excellent bullets in accuracy and terminal effect in my experience. In standard cartridges with moderate velocity's they are hard to beat. Put a 150 grain BT in a 300 Win mag case with a max charge of suitable powder and you have a situation where the bullet explodes inside 200 yards and ruins quite a bit of meat. Put that bullet in the same place at 400 yards and it is a different story.

It might be just me but there are a lot of people shooting Mag's for deer and similar sized game. I can't agree with this logic, don't get me wrong mag's do have a place and excell in pushing heavier bullets for better results on larger game than similar bore sized standard cartridges. On the other side of the coin if I was shooting very long ranges on a consistant basis then a Mag with a lighter ballistic tip at high MV would make more sense.

I was out hunting today and ran into two guys hunting Mule Deer in the same area I was hunting in. We talked for about 1/2 an hour on where the best sign was and what we had seen that morning. I asked what they were carring for rifles and both were carring 300 ultra mags. I got the speel on how they shot faster than the speed of light and so on. And I got the look of disbelief when I told them I was using a 30-06 one of them looked at me like I had two heads. At 4:30 pm I made a one shot kill at a ranged 372 yards bang flop, yup that crusty old out dated 30-06 that I like so much still seems to work pretty good when I have a good solid shooting position and put the bullet in the right place.

I do shoot at the range 2-3 times a week and there is no subistute for lots of practice imo. Well thats my rant on missapplied magnum chamberings.

I have a simple formula for Bt's shoot the heaviest one in the caliber you use, drive it at a moderate speed ( 2900 fps or less) put it in the right place and fire up the grill.

Today was my first kill with the AB and I am quite impressed! they won't replace B Tips for me, but they sure do fill a void when there is a chance at bigger game while I am hunting deer and have an elk or a moose tag too. Performance was awesome and they are almost as accurate as the BT in the rifle.

I load 100 grainers for a buddys 25-06 A- bolt at 3500 fps ( DEVASTATING) wound channel , last year he shot a doe at 140 yds, you could put your head in the hole and look around :shock:

I DID MANAGE TO DROP AN ELK AT 200 YDS. SHOT PLACEMENT WAS LOW ON THE LUNGS. THE BULLET WENT THROUGH AND DID WHAT IT WAS SUPPOSED TO DO. I DID FIND SOME BT FRAGMENTS ON THE NEAR SIDE HAIR.
THANKS.

I've taken over 100 whitetail and muley bucks using the 150 gr. BT out of a .308 Winchester along with the 180 gr. BT out of a .300 Win Mag and 90% of 'em hit the ground so hard I had to use a pick axe to get their 'whackers' outa the ground before I could move 'em! :shock: :shock: On top of all this good stuff....the NBT is probably the most accurate bullet for LR shooting that I've ever run across!!

Just keep on making 'em!! :lol: :lol:

300rummy":185sro8k said:
I load 100 grainers for a buddys 25-06 A- bolt at 3500 fps ( DEVASTATING) wound channel , last year he shot a doe at 140 yds, you could put your head in the hole and look around :shock:

Ok without wanting to start a flame war I can state that getting 257 Roy ballistics out of a 22" barreled Browning 25-06 whatever your load is..it is probably unsafe. The most I have gotten out of 26" Ruger No 1's and senderos is 3400 fps.
No such thing as a free lunch.

I have seen 3400fps with 24" tubes, but not 3500fps unless you have a 26" tube and its a hot load. Thats why I was asking. I'm curious to see what powder and how many grains.....Actually, take that back, I got 3500fps with my 100g btip and 53g IMR-4350, 24". Was it accurate, not really, was it hot- yah...is it worth it, no..Back it down to 51g at 3350fps and I have a true performer with .5" groups to boot. I'm not going to mention the velocity I got with 115g btips and IMR-7828 out of my old 24" Ruger S/S. I was loading hot, put it that way. That was back when 1" groups was good enough, especially if I could get it going faster. Now I am all about the accuracy.

Forgot to mention that I locked the bolt up on my Ruger 25-06, 3 different times pushing it to find the MAX. I know what kinda velocities the 25-06 is capable of and if you want to push the envelope on them you can get them going quite a bit faster then book, but thats not where your accuracy is going to be top notch, and I'll bet its going to be waaaayyy over pressure.

Back