Ballistic Tips on Elk?

JD338":1uws9jmw said:
fred,

338 cal 210 gr PT is a classic for ELK.

JD338

That load kills like the "Hammer of Thor" in my .338 !! First load I ever worked up for my .338, and only one I'll ever use. I get 3050 fps from my 26" barrel.

from my experiences with by's on deer I would not think of using them on something as large mas an elk even a small one!! I have seen repeated penetration shortfalls with this bullet on deer and elk. Several of my hunters have chosen this bullet in the past and we have seen repeated problems in the bullets not getting through shoulders or any heavy bone for that matter I, for one will not be shooting theses bullets at anything larger than a coyote and for sure not at anything I expect to eat. They are great for shooting small groups but are sadly lacking in thieir terminal performance on larger critters.

I know at least the 180g BT in a .300 Win mag has put the hurt on A LOT of elk shot in my camp. I reload for more then 3 elk rifles in this caliber and load a stiff load of RL-22 and a 180g BT. They have taken elk from 75 yards to a 5x5 this year at a lasered 757 yards. They said they wanted a cheap bullet, with a high BC that was accurate. I could not think of a better bullet. It is also there deer load. I always heard that Noslers 338" BT's were beefed up a little more then the 308's.

Back