Banded Partitons

truck driver

Ammo Smith
Mar 11, 2013
My first batch on .338 210gr PT had a band cut in them and this last batch of 200 I picked up don't. Will there be a difference in breach pressure with the bullets without the band?

You must have had them a very long time. The old style ones haven't been made since the 70's. I still have a few that I load in an older 721 Remington, 399 B. interchangeably with 180 Sierra's with no apparent issues.

Elkman - some of the newer ones, particularly from Shooters Pro Shop, have a smaller "band" in the jacket. I found those in some 180 .30 cal bullets, 200 gr .30 cal bullets and 300 gr .375 bullets in recent years.

TD, I don't change my load at all between the ones that are "banded" and the ones that aren't.

Regards, Guy

Aren't there also banded and unbanded E-tips? I see some banded ones on SPS as well, but nothing in descriptions about them.
EE2

I shoot them both interchangeably. The little crimping groove hasn't ever made a bit of difference that I can tell.

elkeater2":2lfq6rao said:
Aren't there also banded and unbanded E-tips? I see some banded ones on SPS as well, but nothing in descriptions about them.
EE2

Yes there are. (y)

Yeah, sometimes it's like Christmas when you open a box from SPS. Never know exactly what your going to get ! Red tip, Silver tip, banded.....it's still the same BT/AB/PT advertised bullet, just a cosmetic glitch. That's why we're paying 50 cents to the dollar. They've all shot the same for me.

Are we talking about the band used for "crimping" , I was picturing the band between the machine groves in the original Partitions? How about somebody posting a picture of this "band"? For the ancient like myself.?

Top - recently purchased 200 gr .30 cal Nosler Partition
Center - old 270 gr .375 cal Nosler Partition (with the "band" you and I remember)
Bottom - recently purchased 300 gr .375 Nosler Partition

Seems Nosler has made several different versions of "bands" over the years. I would call the more recent ones a cannelure.

Regards, Guy

THANK YOU GUY, so in reality are we talking about a bullet with a cannelure, or the lower one, of which I have never seen.? I asked Nosler about the cannelure a few years back and they told me that we get different ones because they can be bullets that were manufactured for other companies. I have some of both. I was told to load them the same as those without. I also load the very old ones the same as the new.

Back