TTSX 185 va 210 in 338-06?

wisconsinteacher

Handloader
Dec 2, 2010
My hope is to have my 338-06 back soon after Christmas. I have never used the TTSX bullet and am wondering what one you recommend. The 210gr at 2700fps or the 185gr at 2900. The goal will be to deer and maybe elk and moose with the rifle. 400 yards would be the max distance on elk and moose and 200 yards for deer hunting here in WI. From what I have read, the monos like to be driven fast.

I too agree with the 185. In fact I have a dandy load with IMR 3031 and the Hammer 175 in my 338-06 that is humming. I used the older Barnes 185 XLC at just about 3000 fps in a 338W. Back in 2002, I couldnt get enough powder behind it to go any faster, any kind of compressed load pushed that slick devil out of the case! This was before the Lord led "LEE" to make the FCD! I still got pass through on a 250yds fat cow elk.

185gr for sure. With Barnes you want to keep impact velocity above 1800 fps for best results.

I’d bet either one would work great, the 185’s are a pretty long bullet as is. Hopefully I’ll have some real data to show you soon.

Run the 185 TTSX as fast as you can!.

Another option if you so desire here.

338 RPM results

These expand at very low velocity if that is a concern to you

4jIH2Qi.png

The 338 RPM 6 lug Accumark is going to Texas this coming May for piggies with this load.!

MJHNFSh.jpg

Last edited:
Run the 185 TTSX as fast as you can!.

Another option if you so desire here.

338 RPM results

These expand at very low velocity if that is a concern to you

4jIH2Qi.png

The 338 RPM 6 lug Accumark is going to Texas this coming May for piggies with this load.!

MJHNFSh.jpg

Those Accumarks in 338 RPM seems like a really nice combination. You get the heavier barrel but it isn't too heavy either. Tack driver too by the looks of it!

Very nice Fotis. That load will definitely smoke the bacon!

JD338

While I tend to lean towards the heavier weight...it is because I hunt moose and elk more than deer here...whereas you may be hunting deer more often in your neck of the woods, and the 185 gr may make more sense for you.
While the TTSX is a great bullet for penetration, it may be more than necessary for whitetails within 200 yards. A cup and core (Hot Cor, SGK, etc.) or bonded bullet (AccuBond) at 2700-2900 fps will do everything you will need, and then some, on any whitetail inside that distance.

I also have more on game performance with the 210 gr Partition in the 338 cal with the 338 Win Mag (moose, elk, grizzly and bison). Although the 338 Federal is racking up some good results with the 210 gr Partition and 200 gr Uni-Cor bullets (stone sheep, caribou, and moose), and the 338-06 was on black bear with the 215 gr SGK.

I had excellent results from the 160 gr Barnes TTSX on elk this year with a 15" 338-06 TC Encore, I was getting 2575 at the muzzle and with a 180 yard shot the recovered bullet was magazine picture perfect for mushrooming and weighed over 150 gr. I would have to track down the exact weight again.

While I tend to lean towards the heavier weight...it is because I hunt moose and elk more than deer here...whereas you may be hunting deer more often in your neck of the woods, and the 185 gr may make more sense for you.
While the TTSX is a great bullet for penetration, it may be more than necessary for whitetails within 200 yards. A cup and core (Hot Cor, SGK, etc.) or bonded bullet (AccuBond) at 2700-2900 fps will do everything you will need, and then some, on any whitetail inside that distance.

I also have more on game performance with the 210 gr Partition in the 338 cal with the 338 Win Mag (moose, elk, grizzly and bison). Although the 338 Federal is racking up some good results with the 210 gr Partition and 200 gr Uni-Cor bullets (stone sheep, caribou, and moose), and the 338-06 was on black bear with the 215 gr SGK.
The 215grain SGK is an under rated bullet in my opinion for the 338. Far from being a sexy “modern” projectile, but at the velocities most 338’s shoot, they just seem to work. A good balance between hardness and expansion and have never seen one just pencil through an animal. So many nice choices these days.

The 215grain SGK is an under rated bullet in my opinion for the 338. Far from being a sexy “modern” projectile, but at the velocities most 338’s shoot, they just seem to work. A good balance between hardness and expansion and have never seen one just pencil through an animal. So many nice choices these days.
Problem is, finding any of those Jewels! Haven't seen the Sierra 215 in what seems like years...I was just gifted some Sierra 250 SBT, so obligated to work up a load, try them out. Thumpers anyhow. :)

Back