Barnes 130gn TTSX TAC load in .308 Win vs .30-06

JMRhino

Beginner
Jul 5, 2025
152
304
The published max Barnes TAC loads for 308 Win (51.2gns) and .30-06 (53gns) with the 130gn TTSX produce 3246 and 3165 FPS respectively. Both of the test barrels are listed as 24". I am curious as to why the '06 is almost 100 fps slower with 1.8gns more powder? Is the velocity difference due to chamber pressures?

I have direct experiences with the 308 Win. TAC load and have produced similar (sometimes faster) velocities. I am getting approximately 3248 fps out of my 20" barreled Bergara and 3126 fps out of a 16" Rem 700 LTR both in .308 Win.
 
Ah, very interesting. I assumed incorrectly that since 308 and 30-06 are so similar that the powder would directly correspond but I guess the powder burn needs to be slowed down a little since there’s more powder to burn…I am impressed by the 308’s performance with that load but that may not be the best domain for the ‘06. Thx.
 
I have a good load for the 130 ttsx and my 308 as well. I’ve found for me that 50.4 grains of TAC work well producing and ave MV of 3180 fps, and ten shot groups approximately 1.25” at 100 yards.
This is out of my Tikka’s 20” barrel.
The published max Barnes TAC loads for 308 Win (51.2gns) and .30-06 (53gns) with the 130gn TTSX produce 3246 and 3165 FPS respectively. Both of the test barrels are listed as 24". I am curious as to why the '06 is almost 100 fps slower with 1.8gns more powder? Is the velocity difference due to chamber pressures?

I have direct experiences with the 308 Win. TAC load and have produced similar (sometimes faster) velocities. I am getting approximately 3248 fps out of my 20" barreled Bergara and 3126 fps out of a 16" Rem 700 LTR both in .308 Win.
what is your load that you use to get your velocity, if you don’t mind my asking?
I found that as I approached 51 grains I began to get stiff bolt lift. I believe it began around 50.9 grains.

TAC is a bit too fast for the 30-06. It would work with the 110gr TTSX better.
I toyed around with the 130gr TTSX in 2 30-06 rifles and never found the speed I wanted. Now move up to the 150gr TTSX and RL-17 , they together really shine in the 30-06.
It is interesting the differences in burn rates of the powders listed in the Barnes load data for the 30-06. I have some 150 ttsx that I bought for mine, I’ve just not shot it much since I purchased my 308 which has become my primary hunting rifle.
 
I have a good load for the 130 ttsx and my 308 as well. I’ve found for me that 50.4 grains of TAC work well producing and ave MV of 3180 fps, and ten shot groups approximately 1.25” at 100 yards.
This is out of my Tikka’s 20” barrel.

what is your load that you use to get your velocity, if you don’t mind my asking?
I found that as I approached 51 grains I began to get stiff bolt lift. I believe it began around 50.9 grains.


It is interesting the differences in burn rates of the powders listed in the Barnes load data for the 30-06. I have some 150 ttsx that I bought for mine, I’ve just not shot it much since I purchased my 308 which has become my primary hunting rifle.
This is my load for my Bergara Carbon Wilderness in 308 Win:

Please note that the 2.12 length should be listed as BTO NOT COAL. I incorrectly labeled that on my box below. These are warm but I am not getting any ejector swipes or heavy bolt lift. I also could not make it to 51 before pressure signs...

Additionally, I use the Lapua "Palma" brass with the small rifle primer pockets. I don't remember off hand what the jump is to the lands but the TTSX seems to like a jump. I was suspicious of my first velocity readings with my Lab Radar but validated them with my Garmin. I didn't have a huge sample size, but my average was from 15 rounds.

1790763304382.png
 
Last edited:
This is my load for my Bergara Carbon Wilderness in 308 Win:

Please note that the 2.12 length should be listed as BTO NOT COAL. I incorrectly labeled that on my box below. These are warm but I am not getting any ejector swipes or heavy bolt lift. I also could not make it to 51 before pressure signs...

Additionally, I use the Lapua "Palma" brass with the small rifle primer pockets. I don't remember off hand what the jump is to the lands but the TTSX seems to like a jump. I was suspicious of my first velocity readings with my Lab Radar but validated them with my Garmin. I didn't have a huge sample size, but my average was from 15 rounds.

View attachment 30288
Good looking loads there! 😎
At 3248 fps you should get good expansion on game, and should perform like they were hit by a bolt of lightning!
(I have always been impressed by what a 160 gr bullet from my 7MM STW at 3222 fps has done on all game, from antelope to elk over the years; quick, clean kills! Many DRT).

I have never played with lighter bullets in the 308, let alone the 30-06...but up here in the Great White North, we typically use them more for moose, so the 180 gr was always the standard used.
To be honest, I don't even recall having ever using (or seen anyone in my family, or by friends) a 150 gr bullet! (In either cartridge)
And I have long thought that the 165 gr bullets would be a better performer for a little more velocity in the 308. Just never had a 308 long enough to try it before rebarreling them to other cartridges of more interest to me. (Never even occurred to me to use anything lighter. Have since had other cartridges for that option.)

As it had been about 37 years since I had taken any game with a 308, I did use it on my caribou last year. And I used the Terminal Ascent 175 gr bullet, just to try it. Worked just fine! (muzzle velocity of 2570 fps out of the 22" barrel. Caribou broadside at 76 yards. Complete penetration. Double lung shot, hunched up, swapped direction, and it fell within 5 yards from where it took the shot, before I could shoot again.)
 
Good looking loads there! 😎
At 3248 fps you should get good expansion on game, and should perform like they were hit by a bolt of lightning!
(I have always been impressed by what a 160 gr bullet from my 7MM STW at 3222 fps has done on all game, from antelope to elk over the years; quick, clean kills! Many DRT).

I have never played with lighter bullets in the 308, let alone the 30-06...but up here in the Great White North, we typically use them more for moose, so the 180 gr was always the standard used.
To be honest, I don't even recall having ever using (or seen anyone in my family, or by friends) a 150 gr bullet! (In either cartridge)
And I have long thought that the 165 gr bullets would be a better performer for a little more velocity in the 308. Just never had a 308 long enough to try it before rebarreling them to other cartridges of more interest to me. (Never even occurred to me to use anything lighter. Have since had other cartridges for that option.)

As it had been about 37 years since I had taken any game with a 308, I did use it on my caribou last year. And I used the Terminal Ascent 175 gr bullet, just to try it. Worked just fine! (muzzle velocity of 2570 fps out of the 22" barrel. Caribou broadside at 76 yards. Complete penetration. Double lung shot, hunched up, swapped direction, and it fell within 5 yards from where it took the shot, before I could shoot again.)
I generally like living in the 165-170 gn realm for 308s but the 130 coppers seem too good at those velocities. Especially on whitetails. I shot a doe last year at 211 yards from a ground blind and she was DRT. She was facing me and I hit her in the brisket and the bullet travelled almost her entire length and came out her lower back near her spine.

I recently picked up some 180gn Norma Bond Strikes to test in my 308 Win and possible my 300 WSM.
 
1.8 grains of powder is not enough of a difference in the increased case capacity of the 30-06. That combined with the faster burn rate and lower pressure equals less velocity. With the correct powder, the 30-06 will outperform the 308 all day.
 
This is my load for my Bergara Carbon Wilderness in 308 Win:

Please note that the 2.12 length should be listed as BTO NOT COAL. I incorrectly labeled that on my box below. These are warm but I am not getting any ejector swipes or heavy bolt lift. I also could not make it to 51 before pressure signs...

Additionally, I use the Lapua "Palma" brass with the small rifle primer pockets. I don't remember off hand what the jump is to the lands but the TTSX seems to like a jump. I was suspicious of my first velocity readings with my Lab Radar but validated them with my Garmin. I didn't have a huge sample size, but my average was from 15 rounds.

View attachment 30288
Very similar to mine, .1 grains more. My BTO is 2.16. I’m using Starline brass, and have never used Lapua before.
I shot my Buck last season and ranged him at 270 yards, and he also was DRT. Hit him in the top of the shoulder and I have been very impressed with what these have done. I also love the lack of bloodshot meat around the wound.
My first loads for this rifle were the 150 grain Accubonds and they were very accurate and did a nice job, but N.Y. I believe will soon be requiring the use of non-lead bullets so I wanted to be ahead of the game when it happens.

Good looking loads there! 😎
At 3248 fps you should get good expansion on game, and should perform like they were hit by a bolt of lightning!
(I have always been impressed by what a 160 gr bullet from my 7MM STW at 3222 fps has done on all game, from antelope to elk over the years; quick, clean kills! Many DRT).

I have never played with lighter bullets in the 308, let alone the 30-06...but up here in the Great White North, we typically use them more for moose, so the 180 gr was always the standard used.
To be honest, I don't even recall having ever using (or seen anyone in my family, or by friends) a 150 gr bullet! (In either cartridge)
And I have long thought that the 165 gr bullets would be a better performer for a little more velocity in the 308. Just never had a 308 long enough to try it before rebarreling them to other cartridges of more interest to me. (Never even occurred to me to use anything lighter. Have since had other cartridges for that option.)

As it had been about 37 years since I had taken any game with a 308, I did use it on my caribou last year. And I used the Terminal Ascent 175 gr bullet, just to try it. Worked just fine! (muzzle velocity of 2570 fps out of the 22" barrel. Caribou broadside at 76 yards. Complete penetration. Double lung shot, hunched up, swapped direction, and it fell within 5 yards from where it took the shot, before I could shoot again.)
My first rifle was my Remington 700 CDL chambered in 30-06. When I first went to get it sighted in I bought a couple boxes of Remington Core-looks, one of 165 grains, and one of 150 grains.
Got the rifle sighted in and the 150s shot much better than the 165s. (Could have probably been more shooter than the rounds shot) so I knew I wanted to start handloading and did some research online and with friends and decided one the Nosler 150 grain Accubonds.
That’s how I got started with 150s in both rifles.
My 700 is about 10+ pounds and my Tikka (308) is just under eight. I do a lot more of walking than sitting so the lighter rifle gets used considerably more. Also having a 20” barrel in the thick close woods is a bit more doable than a 24” barrel.
 
Very similar to mine, .1 grains more. My BTO is 2.16. I’m using Starline brass, and have never used Lapua before.
I shot my Buck last season and ranged him at 270 yards, and he also was DRT. Hit him in the top of the shoulder and I have been very impressed with what these have done. I also love the lack of bloodshot meat around the wound.
My first loads for this rifle were the 150 grain Accubonds and they were very accurate and did a nice job, but N.Y. I believe will soon be requiring the use of non-lead bullets so I wanted to be ahead of the game when it happens.


My first rifle was my Remington 700 CDL chambered in 30-06. When I first went to get it sighted in I bought a couple boxes of Remington Core-looks, one of 165 grains, and one of 150 grains.
Got the rifle sighted in and the 150s shot much better than the 165s. (Could have probably been more shooter than the rounds shot) so I knew I wanted to start handloading and did some research online and with friends and decided one the Nosler 150 grain Accubonds.
That’s how I got started with 150s in both rifles.
My 700 is about 10+ pounds and my Tikka (308) is just under eight. I do a lot more of walking than sitting so the lighter rifle gets used considerably more. Also having a 20” barrel in the thick close woods is a bit more doable than a 24” barrel.
I am relatively new to hunting with coppers and I have modified where I shoot the deer. Traditionally, I am a behind the shoulder shooter with cup and core projectiles. That shot placement seem to be less dramatic with less blood trail to follow with the coppers which seems logical considering their cookie cutter style wound tracks. They have all died in relatively short order, but I was sweating a few track jobs. I don't see that as a deficiency with the bullet but now everyone gets a shoulder shot with the TTSXs.
 
Back
Top